Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Not sure what happened today while making ribs. I placed 3 slabs of baby backs in my rib rack and maintained 250 temp for 5 hrs. and they came out dry. I splashed some water on them after 2 hrs and again after 3. Any ideas? Thanks Mark

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The water may have dried them out. Check them around 4 hours. Each rack is different. Calibrated thermo may help
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Pick the fattiest ribs you can find. The fat renders and keeps them moist. I agree, double check your temp also. Its likely either the particular cut of meat or temp IMO
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I don't think it was a good idea to splash water on them.  Maybe a light spritz of apple juice/apple cider vinegar.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Thanks guys for the insight
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Were you cooking direct?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Mark0525

Sir there is a hand full of things that can cause dry ribs. I will list the most common ones.
    1. Over cooking. Most of the time this is the culprit.
    2. Poor meat quality.
    3. Meat has not been handled properly during packaging and processing.
    4. Poor refridgeration.
    5. Air tight seal has been broken on package.

These are some things you can look for. They are other things that can cause problems but the buyer has no control over them so I didnt list them. I hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Mark0525

By the way im a Raiders fan also. We have had it ruff for the last several years.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Pick the fattiest ribs you can find. The fat renders and keeps them moist. I agree, double check your temp also. Its likely either the particular cut of meat or temp IMO

Other than maybe washing off some of the bark, what would the water hurt? I dont understand how it would make them dry if a cider vinegar or apple juice spritz wouldn't do the same?

Little Rock, AR

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    SGH said:

Mark0525

By the way im a Raiders fan also. We have had it ruff for the last several years.

Eitherfof you guys going to CTE?
  • SGH
    BYS1981 Said

I wish that I could but I wont be able to. How about you?

Status- Standing by.

• Water introduces evaporative cooling, essentially dropping the internal temp of the ribs...  They were likely undercooked.   Just let them sit for the 5 hours, no need to even open the dome IMHO
    Pentwater, MI
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    SGH said:

BYS1981 Said

I wish that I could but I wont be able to. How about you?

Yea, I'll be going, it's my 3rd in a row, I wasn't going to go until I heard it was Marcel Reece.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    If I had to amend one thing about your cook it would be to have you foil the ribs a couple hours in.  It's kind of impossible to end up with dry ribs if you foil them.  I do ribs as follows...

Cook for 2 hours indirect at 250-300.  
    Foil for 1 to 1 1/2 hours with some sort of foiling mixture.  
    Rest for 1/2 hour in foil
    Finish on the grill for about 30 mins. with direct heat (around 350), painting with BBQ sauce every 3-5 minutes.

The above is very similar to APL's recipe from Serious BBQ.  Perfect ribs every time.
    Southern California
  • Million ways to skin the cat, and a lot of people swear by foiling, I've never foiled my ribs, but then, i prefer them just dry rubbed without sauce, so they need a good bark.  I don't spritz or anything, just keep the temps level for 5 hours without peeking and never had dry ones.  Seems Mark's ribs likely needed to go a bit longer as the fat didn't have enough time to render and provide that moistness to the meat.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687

Mark0525 said:
    Not sure what happened today while making ribs. I placed 3 slabs of baby backs in my rib rack and maintained 250 temp for 5 hrs. and they came out dry. I splashed some water on them after 2 hrs and again after 3. Any ideas? Thanks Mark
    Howdy Mark
    I'm with those that believe your ribs were undercooked. Even overcooked falling apart ribs usually have some moisture unless they are toast. Sounds like they needed some more time. There is a small window of time when they are perfect. 2 ways to tell…poke a toothpick in, and it should slide in and out with almost no pressure. Or try and lift the slab by the center. It should bend and want to break. If you are looking at internal temps, my ribs are usually not tender until at least 190.

The foil tips you have received are great, but good ribs can be had without foil as well. 
    Keep getting it!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SGH

Nature Boy  Said

"good ribs can be had without foil as well. "

Agree 1000 percent!!!

Status- Standing by.