Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rumor about the mini...

I was at my local dealer (Roswell Hardware) picking up some DP rubs and was chatting with the guys about the mini and small.  They said their BGE rep told them the mothership is revamping the mini to have a little more real estate on the grid.  The new model will be out in a few weeks.  Also, the new "big mini" would mean the smalls are getting phased out.  Not sure if anyone else has heard that, but just thought I'd share....
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• thx for the heads up! im on the fence between the two now
    Beaufort, SC
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Good people at Roswell Hardware. They always treat me right.
  • Interesting news, will be waiting to hear about this as the news breaks out.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2014
    Hmmmm.  Not sure what the advantage would be for that?  They are both portable, but there might be an uprising from the mini crowd, of which I am one.  Leave our mini's alone!!  Besides that, I'd probably buy the new size and I sure as hell don't need a sixth egg! :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice my mini will be a collectors item, bring it on.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I see the Medium going away before that happens.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I would like to know how true this is. I ve been back and forth about getting the small or the mini. This will push me into the mini camp.... Maybe.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would buy one.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    grege345 said:

I would like to know how true this is. I ve been back and forth about getting the small or the mini. This will push me into the mini camp.... Maybe.

I am stuck in the same boat. Im ready to buy a small. Have some pricing from different places but would hold out for a new mini if i knew for sure if its true.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I'm in a different boat on the same river. If this is true I am heading out to buy that small I have had my eye on for some time now. To me the small just seems more versatile but the mini also seems to be a useful size.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    They just started producing a platesetter for the mini. Wonder why they would do that if they were going to enlarge it.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I love a good rumor.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • grege345
    I'm in a different boat on the same river. If this is true I am heading out to buy that small I have had my eye on for some time now. To me the small just seems more versatile but the mini also seems to be a useful size.

So you still don't know. Lol

• Hungry Joe

I am fairly certain that even if they discontinued the small today I could still find one in the channel for quite a while. I will be buying my small before the end of summer.

Lots of people love the mini but to me it was a lot of money for what you got. I want a small for portability and still be able to cook for a small group which would be hard to do on a mini. After I get my small, I will take a look at the upgraded mini  if in fact the rumors are true. But honestly with some of the offerings from other companies I may go to the dark side for my mini needs mainly because of money.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Don't hesitate to buy a small fellas!   :D

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hungry Joe

I will get a small soon. :D

But right now I am in the middle of planning a 2 to 3 week trip to Italy for the fall. Most things I can sneak by the wife but it would be hard to make a new small blend in. Once everything is paid for it will be easier to get her on board.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Anyone want to buy my small egg? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I dont know if the rumor is true or not personally but there may be some thing to it. Kamado Joe has come out with a JR and its the diameter off the small egg and about the height off the mini. A combination off the two eggs in one. I have noticed around here that they are flying off shelves. Big Green Egg may have noticed this as well.Just a thought.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited February 2014
    Mickey said:

That would make the small the new medium and the new mini the new small? So down size the medium, up-size the small and what do they accomplish? BTW Im very, very happy with my medium BGE, and I bet other medium owners are too.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • grege345
    SGH said:
    I dont know if the rumor is true or not personally but there may be some thing to it. Kamado Joe has come out with a JR and its the diameter off the small egg and about the height off the mini. A combination off the two eggs in one. I have noticed around here that they are flying off shelves. Big Green Egg may have noticed this as well.Just a thought.

I just watch a video review of the kamado jr and I gotta say it looks pretty nice.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    SGH said:
    That looks interesting:

Honestly if I were in the market right now I would consider it.  It is closer in weight to the small (68 lbs vs 80 lbs).   I like the fact that it has handles built into the stand and you can carry it.  It includes the heat deflector and stand which is pretty sweet.  One downside is just by looking at it it seems a bit squatty, so I'm not sure how much room there is for larger cuts of meat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gogogordy said:
    Mickey said:

That would make the small the new medium and the new mini the new small? So down size the medium, up-size the small and what do they accomplish? BTW Im very, very happy with my medium BGE, and I bet other medium owners are too.
    I agree I like the medium it was the last one I bought buy it has its place.
  • I like the looks of the joe jr but my largest concern is the lack of compatible accessories. Its the main reason i have stayed with bge when shopping...any thoughts on this guys?
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    In general, I am very impressed with the Kamado Joe brand. I know a lot of guys that like the Egg but end up buying the Kamado Joe because of the lower price. I can't honestly say there is anything about them not equal to or better than the Egg, except that they don't come with a ceramic cap. I can't decide if that matters or not. I have also looked at the "mini" KJ to go along with my large and small Egg. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    The KJ ceramics were much more rough cast than the egg the last time I checked one out and they are almost the same price as the egg here in GA.
  • grege345
    Hi54putty said:
    In general, I am very impressed with the Kamado Joe brand. I know a lot of guys that like the Egg but end up buying the Kamado Joe because of the lower price. I can't honestly say there is anything about them not equal to or better than the Egg, except that they don't come with a ceramic cap. I can't decide if that matters or not. I have also looked at the "mini" KJ to go along with my large and small Egg. 

It has the grid of the small with a lower weight with a price tag in the middle of the road between BGE mini and small. We'll see where the BGE mini rumor goes. Anyone have a connection to the mother ship about the rumor

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Lit said:
    The KJ ceramics were much more rough cast than the egg the last time I checked one out and they are almost the same price as the egg here in GA.
    Where I am (NC) you can buy the large KJ, including nest, side tables, ash tool, grid lifter, etc for $750. Those area all standard and come in the same box. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I'm in the camp that would like to have a portable egg that's a little bigger than a mini but smaller than a small egg.

on most days I'm cooking for four people and my large is typically overkill

I'm also in North Carolina. I just called a local place about a joe Jr. $459.

that's almost as much as the small egg....seems high for a " knock off"
  • Lit
    The large KJ is $799 here for the same package. My parents bought a large egg with that same package a year ago and it was priced $869 and that was in Florida. I grew up with the store owner so he gave it to them for $669. That package for the large egg was $899 when I was calling around for a co-worker at christmas. For a hundred or $150 difference I would stick with a product I know. That being said I am gonna call the mothership today and ask about the new size and will probably stop by an ace on the way home that I know carries KJ to check out their junior.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    $459 for the Jr with all the accessories, not bad.
    Mini is $400, add your nest, plate setter.
    Seattle, WA