Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs -- New Recipe for Sunday Cook

Options
After lots of reading about the pros and cons and trials and tribulations of doing short ribs on the bge, my plan was to try smoke them for 2-3 hrs indirect at 225 degrees followed by a like amount of time in a braising liquid at about 300 degrees.  For a variety of reasons (poor delegation of temp-watching while running errands, poor attention to temp-fixing after returning and cocktails), actual temps/times achieved were 250-200-225/3.5 hours and then (mostly) 375/2.5 hrs for the braise.  No matter -- the short ribs came out great.  The extra time (prob about 6.5 hrs total) and some jumpy temps didn't hurt them.  I'm not sure anything could.

Started with montreal steak seasoning (and lots of it) for an overnight rub.  Onto the grate at 11:30 am over a pan sitting on the platesetter into which I'd mixed 3 beers, A-1, soy sauce, gulden's mustard, and a bit of off the shelf bbq sauce.  By about 3pm they were dark, with a nice crust and starting to pull away from the bone.  Back on the egg til 6:30 in a braising liquid consisting of a reduced mix of sweated vidalia onion, smashed garlic cloves, a bottle of red wine, lots of balsamic vinagar, some leftover balsamic glaze, and some beef stock.  

They came out beyond great -- falling off the bone, a bit of crust on the outside (even with the long braise), tender and juicy as can be on the inside.  This is definitely going into the rotation.

Pix attached.  

Cheers!
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments