Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coupl'a Tables

I mentioned last week that had picked up a couple of pallets and I thought I might make a table out of them for the Egg, but first I had to make an an outdoor dining table for SWMBOed. I figured the pallet on the right was going to be perfect for that project.

Remember that I have close to absolutely no wood working skills. I took off all the excess boards first and then started to sand down what was left.

We started getting hungry from all the hard work and ran up to Lockhart's Smokehouse in Plano. Supposedly the guy went down to Lockhart and trained at Kreuz for a few months.

Notched out the middle support so we could frame out the edges

Slapped on some 4x4s for legs

I think we are going to burn the top a bit with the weedburner and then seal it. The wife has some plans on how she's going to do the legs and sides. Some kind of artsy craft project. The whole plan was not to have a nice finished table, but sort of a rustic worn look. I'm pretty  happy about it. Especially since it was my first real wood working project. When we finished it up, we decided to go ahead and knock out the table for the Egg.

Except for 2 2x4s we bought, the whole thing was made out of pallets and scavenged wood. The legs are actually some cedar we found that somebody had tossed out. I know this isn't the most fancy table, but we are in a rent house and I was going for functional/rustic. When we buy a house and get settled in, I'll build Version 2.0 which will be better, but for right now this will. Do. Still need to sand it down and decide if I want to stain it or not before I seal it.

That was a lot of work for a Sunday. We both thought a cold drink was in order while we sat back and admired the fruits of our labor.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fantastic! Nice work man.

May I make a small suggestion? Slap four 2x4's a few inches off the ground, horizontally between the legs. Will make it stronger and keep the legs from wobbling. Plus you have a leg rest of sorts when you're outside enjoying the egg.

The egg table looks great too. You'll enjoy having a table when you're egging.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks for the suggestions @caliking. This thing is solid, though. Heavy. Takes two of us to move it and it doesn't wobble at all. It doesn't even shake.

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    You think Lockharts is better than Pecan Lodge?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    I don't know. Been a long time since I've had Pecan Lodge. I will say Lockhart's is on the salty side and I like salt. If you order fatty brisket, it is FATTY. Thicker than my thumb. Didn't care for the texture of their sausage, nor did I care for their mac n' cheese (not very creamy) or habanero mac n' cheese (way too hot). That being said, it was really pretty good. The beans had a ton of brisket in them and weren't overly sweet like some places. Definitely get the deviled eggs. And if you go on Saturday, expect to wait in line. The people right in front of us ordered the last of the turkey (not that I was interested in that). By the time we left they were out of ribs, turkey, mac n' cheese and some other stuff. I'd go back. I'd like to try their flat and their pork chop next time.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Oh and I almost called you @TUTTLE871, but by the time I got cleaned up I didn't figure you would have enough time to meet us there.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    It was just a thought. If there are no joints, the  nails or screws can loosen over time, even with heavy furniture. But if you "over-engineer" it with extra screws then you probably won't have a problem. 

Its going to look even nicer with the stain on it. 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Nice repurposing. Great look!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Ideas for a mini table, well done.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    It was just a thought. If there are no joints, the  nails or screws can loosen over time, even with heavy furniture. But if you "over-engineer" it with extra screws then you probably won't have a problem. 

I see what you're doing....can I drive Griffin nuts with my engineering acumen.  I'm gonna sit back with an adult beverage and see how this plays out.  whoop whoop whoop
    Well done

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griff if you guys get a couple of hours please drive down Sat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    @Mickey message sent

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking said:

I see what you're doing....can I drive Griffin nuts with my engineering acumen.  I'm gonna sit back with an adult beverage and see how this plays out.  whoop whoop whoop
    Ha! My "engineering acumen" would fill a few thimbles tops. But I've learned a few things the hard way with some of my own redneck projects :)

@Griffin did you burn and stain it yet? Would love to see how that looks.

• Griffin
    @caliking the dining table has been burned and stained but not the legs have not been painted or sealed. The egg table has only been half way sanded. Weather and laziness has gotten in the way. And another table build. Need to get focused and back on track with it.

Rowlett, Texas

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Put something under ash/vent opening