Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken Egg style

Options
Well, had a major hankering for some Indian food yesterday. Seeing as the closest good Indian spot is a 30 minute drive from me, I figured I'd give it a rip. Yogurt-marinated chicken thighs and thrown on a 600 degree fire for about 10 minutes total. Saag Paneer and curried Cauliflower and Garbonzo over rice. It was delicious and the fam loved it. It tasted much better than my less than amateur pic conveys.
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks good, did you add anything else to the yogurt for the marinade?
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yes, Blukat. I used Patak's Red Curry concentrate (about 4Tbsp to 1C of yogurt.) and marinade for 8hrs. I'm sure overnight would have been better.. Not truly authentic Tandoori chicken but it was good nonetheless. The Saag was store bought (it's firmer and easier to manage than homemade.) Was it as good as my favorite joint? No. But it was definitely worth the effort. Indian cuisine can be very "fiddly."

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done! Someone tried a number of the different Tandoori chicken marinades, but I can't remember his handle. I'll see if I can find those threads.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Looks great! I love Indian food! I'm working on a moose curry for the Salado fest.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nicely done! Someone tried a number of the different Tandoori chicken marinades, but I can't remember his handle. I'll see if I can find those threads.
    I was hoping you would chime in Caliking. The Saag Paneer was lacking the depth that it does at my fav Indian restaurant but it was still very flavorful. I'm not sure what ingredient or technique would give me that "depth." Maybe a longer cook?
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Looks great! I love Indian food! I'm working on a moose curry for the Salado fest.
    Moose curry? That I gotta taste!
  • caliking
    Options
    If you search the forum, you will get many hits for "tandoori chicken". About a year ago, @Dave_Matthews had a thread going about trying different tandoori chicken spice mixes and marinades:

I can't see anything to complain about on that plate :) What did you think was lacking in terms of "depth" in your saag paneer? From my own experience (and taste), I have found that I like a darker saag paneer, meaning that the saag has been sauteed for some time until it darkens in color, before adding in the paneer. 

My usual MO (although SWMBO usually makes this dish these days) is heat up some oil, add the whole spices until they are aromatic, add onion/garlic/ginger and saute well (until the onions start to brown and are cooked), Then add the powdered spices and saute until the oil separates from the mix. Add the spinach and saute until the color darkens and the water from the spinach has evaporated. Add the paneer and cook for a few minutes longer, then you are done. 

I like to saute the spinach first  until cooked, then puree it for a very smooth texture. Load up on the garlic (but then I love garlic). 

Of course, cooking in ghee adds instant "depth" :) I don't cook with ghee though. 

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I guess the overall flavor profile was not as good as the pros. I can't put my finger on it. I did it just as you outlined, Caliking. Maybe I'll take the ghee route next time. I also pureed the spinach first prior to adding the onion mixture.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @caliking, why don't you use ghee? It's just butter, clearly.  ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Allow me to clarify...it's just butter.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    Options
    My waistline (already ample) and arteries thank me for not cooking in ghee :). If you exercise, and otherwise eat right (unlike me) then try cooking in a little ghee sometime - its tasty stuff for sure. 

Allow me to clarify...it's just butter.
    I see what you did there  :ar!

• Little Steven
    Options
    Why not vegetable ghee? Salt? Bad oil?

I generally make palak paneer and us fresh and frozen spinach. Wrap the frozen in cheesecloth and hang it over a pot or the sink. I cube the paneer and shake it in a bag with rice flour before I saute. It's as good as any restaurant I've visited. I use hing powder too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I generally make palak paneer and us fresh and frozen spinach. Wrap the frozen in cheesecloth and hang it over a pot or the sink. I cube the paneer and shake it in a bag with rice flour before I saute. It's as good as any restaurant I've visited. I use hing powder too.

Maybe it's just margarine-ly better.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Hing powder LS?
  • caliking
    Options
    Hing = asafoetida. A lovely pungent spice that tastes great in daal too. A little goes a long way.

• Little Steven
    Options
    I would have said that but I couldn't spell it :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Just trying to be helpful. Besides it is much harder to spell than moose :ar!

• legomyeggo
    Options
    Good looking meal, I do a lot of Indian cooking in the kitchen - did some butter chicken tonight. Need to try more on the egg,
  • caliking
    Options
    Good looking meal, I do a lot of Indian cooking in the kitchen - did some butter chicken tonight. Need to try more on the egg,
    Be nice to LS and maybe he will post pics of some of his Indian cooks. He's done some fine ones on the egg.

• Little Steven
    Options
    What? The moose ghosht?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options

Are you referring to vanaspati (Dalda)? Its been much demonised in the past as well, sometimes thought to be worse than ghee. Generally used for deep frying, since it makes things crispy in a way that oil can't. It is much cheaper than ghee though, so many eateries in India still use it, but the general public prefers not to. 

I don't mean to foist my choices on others - we're just not fans of deep fried foods and some other things because of a penchant for obesity and family history of some lifestyle related diseases on both sides. 

Now,back to our scheduled programming :)

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    legomyeggo said:

@legomyeggo: Do you make your Butter Chicken from scratch or use a sauce base (such as Patak’s)? <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

@Caliking: Yeah, deep fat frying anything has been severely curtailed in our house. I’m convinced that I should have sautéed the onion mixture longer to deepen the flavor – although my eldest was bummed when there were no Saag Paneer leftovers (SWMBO and I killed them off.)