Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabello mushroom questions.

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you remove the black gills or leave them in? When cooking direct on the egg, what temp? and would you use elevated grid?[p]Thanks,[p]Ray Price

Comments

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Leave the gills in. I do mine at 350, no elevated grill. Just EVOO, sea salt and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Yum!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    sausageport.jpg
    <p />Babyray,[p]I leave the gills in and cook 350-400 starting gill side down. Just regular grid.
    Then add extended grid to warm up sauage and melt cheese. Bump temp up a little also.[p]Enjoy, a great appetiser.[p]Mike

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Babyray:[p]When we have done them I leave the gills in, brush with a Balsamic vinegarette dressing, then put gill side down on the regular grill level for about a minute to "set" the Balsamic. Temps anywhere from 300 to 350 (wherever it wants to settle out at). Then take out of egg add pre-cooked sweet Italian sausage mixed with shredded mozzarella/asiago cheese mixture (these also had some prochuitto pieces in them also). Then top with slices of mozzarella and back on the egg (regular grid level) for 3 to 5 minutes (until by feel I think they are done).[p]These are some that were done in early Sept. Also did some at the EggtoberFest but haven't uploaded the pictures to photobucket yet.[p]P9050054.jpg[p]Hope this helps![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    mushrooms003.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]I leave the gills in and cook gill side up. [p]Rick
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Salmon,
    Is that indirect or direct? I would think you need more heat gill side up. You can do a lot of things with these mushrooms.[p]Mike

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Babyray,
    I believe that the best portabellos I have ever tasted came fron Rr. BBQ's book, re; marinated in zesty italian dressinf for a day; cooked gill side down for five minutes at a high temp; turned and blue cheese put in the center; and cooked until the cheese melt; or approximately five minutes.
    Talk about good! They were great!
    Hammer

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Salmon,
    Dang. That is an amazing picture. I really like it.
    It is as if every single spec of everything you adorned that shroom with was put in a planned and perfect spot.
    cool! You wuz born with a camera in your hand eh?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Nah, just a quick learner, Woo's gives me a bunch of help. Next class I need some nite time picture takin' tips.[p]Thanks[p]Rick[p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Salmon,[p]Night time shots are one of Nature Boy's specialties for sure. Did you ever see his once in a lifetime lightning landscape?[p]Nice shroom shot, Rick. :~)[p]john