Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In keeping with the theme-Is your significant other involved with your BGE cooks...not just preps?

Options
In my BGE world, SWMBO is time, distance and shielding from the action (and that's okay with me).  She very much enjoys the outcomes but has no desire to participate in anything related.  FWIW-YMMV- :)>-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Same here, she never touched the gasser either.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nope. The fact that the food tastes good is enough for her. It would be nice if she could light it so I could cook on it more often(she gets home first) but alas, she doesn't touch it.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    My wife does a great job helping to prepare the food before Egging.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mine calls the appliances "The big hot thing" and "The big cold thing"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mrs. TJ helps with the sides cooked inside on the 'big clock in the kitchen', as Kristi would say.  Never touches the Egg, and I don't trust her to pick out cuts of meat, except for chicken.
    Options
    Once everything is set up, The Spouse knows how to make adjustments to keep the temperature on target.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Nope, not even the dishes..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Nope. The fact that the food tastes good is enough for her. It would be nice if she could light it so I could cook on it more often(she gets home first) but alas, she doesn't touch it.

That describes my situation as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    My lovely wife preps and cleans up.  That is fine with me! - Of course, I help with that too.   She is a very good cook but is not in to starting up the Egg, etc when I am not here. Just got her a new small Weber gasser for the times when I am traveling - (a bunch).  It is all good.
    Milton, GA.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    When I bought my fist LBGE my wife wasn't thrilled with my purchase. Although she loved the food, she swore up and down she wouldn't cook on it.  Charcoal was too much of a hassle, too dirty, etc. Then I bought an SBGE for sides - the dealer called and said "can you let your husband know that we just received his SBGE. Her response; "Oh really - he bought another egg did he". She decided to cook on it if I prepared the Egg.  I knew that it was only a matter of time.  A few summers ago she surprised me and said, we really need to get another LBGE. So I drove straight out and bought her one.  She now calls one LBGE "mine"  and the other "yours" and hasn't looked back since. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RGBHV said:
    When I bought my fist LBGE my wife wasn't thrilled with my purchase. Although she loved the food, she swore up and down she wouldn't cook on it.  Charcoal was too much of a hassle, too dirty, etc. Then I bought an SBGE for sides - the dealer called and said "can you let your husband know that we just received his SBGE. Her response; "Oh really - he bought another egg did he". She decided to cook on it if I prepared the Egg.  I knew that it was only a matter of time.  A few summers ago she surprised me and said, we really need to get another LBGE. So I drove straight out and bought her one.  She now calls one LBGE "mine"  and the other "yours" and hasn't looked back since. 
    Which wife Bud? I need to talk to you early in the week. 905 301 1131. Gimme a call.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @L_S-"Better to be lucky than good any day".  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Mine would use the gasser but I think she is afraid of the fire...odd however as she will build a fire in the fireplace...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I make the mess and smoke the entreés, she does the clean up and makes the best desserts known to man, except for the whip cream, which is up to me and the whipping syphon, some vodka and flavours TBD. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I do all the cooks on the large, normally on weekends, and my husband usually does the quick weekday cooks on the mini while I do the sides. I always set up the charcoal. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Currently my wife does not help cook on the egg, but she is also 33 weeks pregnant. When she wasn't so pregnant she helped cook sides inside. She enjoys cooking, but not right now haha.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My wife always helps out with the prep but she doesn't touch the eggs very often.   She can make temp adjustments during low and slow cooks, but I usually hook up the controller if I am going to be away during the cook.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

+1....with LOUSUBCAP, DMW, EGGCELSIOR.

SWMBO doesn't like the cold outside. Or the prep work. Or the clean-up.

Only the eating !!!!!!

That is OK with me too.

She may get somewhat more involved when/if warm weather comes. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've shown her how to light the egg - although it has never happened. She knows how to make temp adjustments though - she tells me when the needle on the dome thermometer is left or right of vertical and I go make the changes (I usually turn the dome thermometer so my target temp is a straight up and down needle).

She handles most of the sides - and they're always phenomenal.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

When we first got the large she was all into cooking on it until she opened it and had just about all of her arm hair burned off and some of her hair on her head, Never touched it again!  

Ricky

Boerne, TX