Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili garlic chicken feet on the mini

Disclaimer - these were not entirely egged.

SWMBO went to Chinatown this morning so I asked her to bring me back some lunch, including some chicken feet. I'm not that much of a fan of chicken feet as they are served in our favorite dim sum place, but grilling them takes them up a couple of notches.

So I fired up the mini while I ate my lunch. It was up to about 450°F when I finished, so perfect timing to throw on my little snack.

Grilled them for a couple of minutes each side then tossed them in a teaspoon each of chili garlic paste and chili oil.

They were off the hook! Best chicken feet yet. I'm going to toss some wings in the oil/chili garlic paste combo next time. Wings are going to be amazing with this stuff. 

imageimage

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sounds like your Salado Fest Cook is picked
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Haven't had chicken feet since I spent some time in China in '99. So they were already cooked and you grilled/sauced them? If you were starting from raw, what would be the best method? I'm thinking I need to find an Asian market...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Those feet look great! I love me some feet brother. I have a recipe for spicy fried feet if you are interested i will post when i get home tonight. If you like feet it is awesome. Again they are fried not egged but great all the same.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wings are ok but feet just pop. I use them for stock but after roasting them I end up eating them all

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @DMW - I don't know how these are made,  possibly braised or lightly fried then dunked in a thin sauce. SWMBO brought me an order from the restaurant and I doctored it up to my liking. 

@Mickey - I probably won't be allowed back next year then!  :) 

@SGh. -  I would like to see that recipe.  I have never made these,  but crispy skin would be a  plus for me. 

• caliking
    Wings are ok but feet just pop. I use them for stock but after roasting them I end up eating them all
    How do you season them? 

• Nada, I do them for stock. They are high in salt. Maybe some Lawrys and cayenne if I intend to eat them but I never plan on that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    caliking- Deep fried feet recipe.
    1. Clean feet very well. Remove or at least clip toe nails.
    2. Check for callouses and remove.
    3. Im normally the first person to say dont boil some thing but in this case it is a must.
        Place clean feet in pot and cover with water. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 tablespoons
        tobasco sauce. Simmer until tender only then remove and pat dry.
    4. Take 2 -3 eggs and beat with 2-4 tablespoons of tabasco or hot sauce of choice.
    5. Mix 1 cup of flour with 1-2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper. Depending on how spicy you want.
    6. Dip feet in egg and tabasco mixture.
    7. Shake off excess liquid.
    8. Dredge in flour/cayenne mixture.
    9. Deep fry at 350-375 until golden brown or done to your liking. I prefer to use Crisco.
    10. Sit down at the table and enjoy some spicy deep fried feet. Hope you enjoy this. It has always been a real crowd pleaser.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wait. This thread is for real?! Chicken FEET?! Seriously?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Aye...one of my favorites in the din sum restaurants. Now I have to try them in the BGE. Those look wonderful caliking!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• SGH
    caliking
    I also have a few recipes for smoked feet if you are interested. If you are not use to eating feet try the deep fried first. Most people prefer them.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    Yep.  Didn't ya see the pics? :) 

• caliking
    @SGH - that sounds damn good.  I'll add it to my ever-growing list! Thanks for the recipe.  Do you make the smoked ones often? 

@chashans - I like them with a bit of char on them,  so I  usually get an extra order to go when we eat dim sum. These chili garlic ones are even better. 

• SGH
    caliking

I dont make them that often any more. Most everybody prefers them fried so I mostly do them that way. Around the holidays when I have a few of the big cookers fired up I usually will do some for friends and neighbors.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    caliking

One last note. I hope this doesnt offend anyone but here goes. I find because feet are very dry they come out better cooked on a vertical water smoker. You may want to keep this in mind if you should ever try them. And remember that is just my opinion so please no one get mad at me.

Status- Standing by.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    caliking said:
    Yep, I saw the pics. Question stands.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking said:
    Dude, they are the best thing you can have...no wait, you can't

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    edited February 2014
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet

You're welcome!

• caliking
    @SGH - Sacrilege! :)

No worries. I'm not an egg fascist. The egg is great for many things but its not the only cooker in my repertoire. 

• SGH
    caliking Said
    The egg is great for many things but its not the only cooker in my repertoire.

AMEN!!

Status- Standing by.

• Those look great!
  • caliking said:
    @SGH - Sacrilege! :)

No worries. I'm not an egg fascist. The egg is great for many things but its not the only cooker in my repertoire. 
    Blaspheme, sacre, tabernac, Maudite! I used to like you. You are NOT helping me with the moose cook!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Sorry brother. I did not mean to offend. Can I take it back?

Status- Standing by.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Just what do you eat on chicken feet?  Just skin?  Seems like there would be even less meat than on the wing "flippers" which are normally tossed.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    @Cookinbob - they're like chicken trotters. The skin absorbs the seasoning and sauce, the tendons and cartilage render and become soft, and the bones are fun to chew. You don't really eat them for the meat - kind of a snack rather than a meal.

@SGH - don't mind LS. He's just being himself :P

And LS - Fine! You can keep your moose josht to yourself.

• @caliking This looks like something I might try.  The Mrs. is a Taiwan native and makes them regularly but they just do not seem to call my name.  Yours look very good.  Maybe I can talk her out of a couple without having any of my body parts removed by ancient Chinese Kung Fu moves and give them a whirl.  She does love those chicken feet.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa