Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those with a Smokeware SS cap

Options
For the people with the smokeware SS cap. I just broke the ceramic dome cap today as it fell off the egg. Does this item actually shut down the egg completely? How do you guys feel about it? Is it easy to control temps for low and slows and also for hot grilling? Was the learning curve easy compared to the daisy wheel? Any input would be great. Since my cap broke maybe I can ask my wife for the smokeware cap for my birthday next month. Thanks guys.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mine really struggles to close it down others say theirs is fine. I end up using the ceramic cap for cooks. As far as cooking with it I've done fine on low and slows.
    BTW anyone know of a good way to clean it? Mine needs a good clean and spit shine.
    Seattle, WA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No problem with shutdown.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I bought my Smoke Ware back in April and I have never used my cast iron daisey nor my ceramic EVEN once since then! The Smoke Ware takes only a cook or two to learn to use. Trust me I am waiting for them to roll out one for a small!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Consider this a blessing. I dislike the  ceramic cap/DFMT combo. With the smokeware cap, 1 item regulates temp, keeps rain out, and shuts the egg down. Tell your wife that your birthday has come early this year and buy it.

I would love to see one for the small, although I always cook with the the DFMT off and the top vent fully open on the small. I use the bottom vent for temp adjustment.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Mine really struggles to close it down others say theirs is fine. I end up using the ceramic cap for cooks. As far as cooking with it I've done fine on low and slows.
    BTW anyone know of a good way to clean it? Mine needs a good clean and spit shine.

You can run it through the dishwasher.
  • RRP
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Mine really struggles to close it down others say theirs is fine. 

I just installed the gasket to the inside of my male neck piece and it snuffs the fire with ease! Better than my ceramic rain cap in fact!

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    OP, mine works great at shutting down the egg. Like RRP said, it only took a cook to learn.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Rrp I think mine has a gasket but maybe I need a new one. Would love to just leave it on at all times.
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    Options
    You can run it through the dishwasher.
    Our dishwasher must not be a pot scrubber as it didn't do much for cleaning my Smoke Ware, but a little elbow grease and Bartender's Friend did the trick after 8 months of heavy use!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Any of you fine folk care to share where this can be purchased
    Large, small, and a mini
  • RRP
    Options
    Any of you fine folk care to share where this can be purchased
    Here you go. Tell Matt that RRP said Hi!
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    http://www.smokeware.net

There is a little learning curve but nothing major. I love mine. Like others have said I never use my other caps anymore. 
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thank you Ron and Jeffroe
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Socalcajudo
    Options
    Thanks so much you all. I already told my wife my birthday wish list and she tells me. Wow another part for your grill? I said yup. It makes life easier. Thank you all again for your facts about using the smoke ware cap
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I got one for xmas...followed RRP's suggestion and put the gasket on the cap instead of the egg...mine shuts down as good or better then the original cap...and i don't have to ever swap...best thing...Once you get it set like you want you can open the lid and not have to remember to reset the dmft...+5 in my book...One of the more valuable Eggcessories I have acquired
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • calracefan
    Options
    Haven't taken it off the egg since I got it, so yeah it snuffs out the fire okay !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    yeah, it'll snuff an egg no problem. if they dont have them out for smalls by the time spring or summer comes around, I'm going to make a couple.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    I bought my Smoke Ware back in April and I have never used my cast iron daisey nor my ceramic EVEN once since then! The Smoke Ware takes only a cook or two to learn to use. Trust me I am waiting for them to roll out one for a small!
    Totally agree!  Matt mentioned the cap for the small could be ready by spring, well it is Spring here in Southlake and I want one!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks RRP...Ron gave me the good advice on the smokeware. So I was able to get my Smokeware cap directly from Matthew in Jax Beach since it is local. Great product! It chokes out my lump at the end of a cook just fine (used Rutland gasket around chimney for seal and works perfect/air tight). Haven't used my DFMT since I bought the smokeware. Took a little practice but, have been able to control temp with no issue. As far as cleaning I wipe off with a paper towel at the end of a cook while it's still hot and comes out 99% clean except for the underside of the dome but, I'm not personally to concerned about that. If you're OCD you could soak, dishwasher etc and get it like brand-new. Bottom line...product works and shields out rain perfectly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chappy319
    Options
    My rubber piece melted on a high heat cook. Can I get a new one somewhere?
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    Options
    chappy319 said:
    My rubber piece melted on a high heat cook. Can I get a new one somewhere?
    Call SmokeWare - Matt had another company make those tabs out of a higher heat resistant material. Then after you get the replacement the way to avoid that problem again is to open your vent cap counter clock-wise. That way that tab is never exposed to the high heat escaping through the vent. Look at the closely to see what I mean.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Ron...does your ss cap ever freeze up? I did notice on mine that if I am egging a lot in cold weather that I can't open it up eight away...not a biggie, I open the bottom vent and let some heat build up and it opens right up...just a little deviation from my normal ritual.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron...does your ss cap ever freeze up? I did notice on mine that if I am egging a lot in cold weather that I can't open it up eight away...not a biggie, I open the bottom vent and let some heat build up and it opens right up...just a little deviation from my normal ritual.
    No - I haven't but instead of freezing up I'd be suspect of creosote build up inside. When cold creosote is also stiff, but then warms up. I know my cap may be pretty on the outside, but looking at the insides it isn't!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    +1 for the SS Chimney Cap. Haven't seen my daisy wheel or ceramic top since I got it. Not a very hard learning curve either. Take the top off completely for high temp cooks and open it ever-so-slightly for low and slow. I just bought the CyberQ wifi and am anxious to use the two together.

image image
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Rrp is your gasket from the cap manufacturer? I need to try it on the cap, the one on my egg may have failed.
    Try to shut it down the other night and no dice failed again.
    Seattle, WA
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    +1 on SS also. I got mine about 3 months after getting my egg and immediately wished I'd bought one sooner. I've had it a while now and it's been great, so much easier (for me, personally) to maintain and control temps. I never had luck getting the daisey to stay put when opening the lid, I don't miss those days at all. No issues shutting down the fire with the SS either.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • RRP
    edited February 2014
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Rrp is your gasket from the cap manufacturer? I need to try it on the cap, the one on my egg may have failed. Try to shut it down the other night and no dice failed again.

Yes that bright white gasket with the adhesive backed gasket piece that came with my SmokeWare. If you have already used yours without having installed the gasket then I strongly suggest you clean the inside area back to like new before installing that gasket. An early on review was done by TNW using the original suggestion of putting the gasket on the BGE dome chimney and that approach croaked during a burn out. Instead by having the gasket inside the male part of the SmokeWare then removing the cap when you do a burn out takes the gasket out of harms way!
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I love my ss smokewear cap I have no trouble shutting down as far as a learning curve I didn 't notice any
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I have the original gasket and I installed it directly on the dome. The top edge is starting to go so I may grab some nomex to replace it as RRP described above.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I like mine well enough that whenever Matt tools up to manufacture them for the mini, I'll get one immediately.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon