Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rockin the Paella

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,346
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
First paella cook so I was a bit nervous. Followed the Naked Whiz recipe some what. I substituted sweat peas for the garbanzo beans,dice the garlic instead of leaving whole and totally skipped the green beans. Fire management was fairly easy following NW suggestion(I was concerned about fire getting to hot) Everything prepped and ready. Using the smalls mates as a work station image Chicken thighs gettin happy in the EVOO image Chicken removed and peppers and garlic gettin kinda cozy image Added the tomato image Then the rice for a quick sauté then the saffron infused chicken stock image And the final product. image I was very happy (and so was the wife) with the way this turned out, but I have to admit I was questioning myself right before I got started. A word of advice (Ian glad I listened to others here) is to be totally ready before you start cooking this. I had everything ready and still was intense but prolly cause it was my first time with this dish.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
·

Comments

• Looks good to me. Where did you get that pan if you don't mind me asking? Us that a large egg?
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,346
    My wife got it off amazon. And honestly after I threw the tag away I can't remember the brand LS uses a 14 1/2 Typhoon and you can find those on Amazon too. Yes it is a large

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,082
    Great looking cook.  One of my favorites on the BGE!  (Don't know how you found time for pics :) )
    Louisville
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,735
    Terrific! I love the vibrant colors. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • That looks awesome.  Great cook =D>
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    Thanks guys!!

·
  • That looks great! Did you enjoy it?Paella is one of my family's favorites! Here is one that I have done and my recipe.
    photo (7).JPG 179.8K

·
    I loved it and the cook was fun. I am cooking for a friends bday this Saturday and he request paella and I just may use your recipe. Thanks for posting it.

·
  • Did you use chorizo?
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,019
    It looks great!  This is definitely something I want to try.  

@BigGreenCraigdotcom - yours looks incredible as well.  I have bookmarked your recipe- thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Thanks! You can get crazy with the ingredients you use. I had a guy that used my recipe send a couple pictures to  me. He had 3 whole lobsters in one & king crab legs in another.  It really is whatever you enjoy. 

BTW- The picture that I posted is a 20" pan. It barely fits on the XL Big Green Egg. It is massive and makes a truly truly awesome presentation. 

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Your paella looks great, Mattman. I need to try paella again. The one time we did it, we had less than stellar results (our fault, added to much stuff)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Here is a step by step on how I do my Paella. 

·
    @frankie482‌ - no chorizo this time. The local grocery didn't have any and I wasn't driving another 30mins to get it. It will be in my next batch.

@Griffin‌ - thank you.

·
  • @frankie482‌ - no chorizo this time. The local grocery didn't have any and I wasn't driving another 30mins to get it. It will be in my next batch. @Griffin‌ - thank you.
    When I can't find chorizo, I use a spicy andouille sausage instead. I almost prefer it that way.   

·