Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pepper ale beef- can I make it in three or four hours?

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3lb Chickie and the egg just getting going. Do I have time? I'm thinking about 275 for 3 hours? Then in the pan for an hour?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    My eggsperience says "no way" but hopefully someone here has tried the "turbo chuckie" and will be along to help out.  Good luck as if it works there will be plenty of followers!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You'll probably need to cook significantly hotter to have any shot at 3-4 hours. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jls9595
    Options
    Well, I just cut the crap out of my thumb. Trying to chop peppers too fast. I am no chef I guess.  Put the chuck roast on at 4:30, hope to have some pepper ale beef by 8:00 but its just the wife and kids so no pressure. I'm going to try 300* to get it to 160 or so before putting in the pan.  We will see.

PSA: Don't drink and chop too fast with a sharp knife...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ouch!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Hope your ok?

I guess not bad enough for stitches?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • jls9595
    Options
    no, not bad at all. just bled alot.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    well, still going. Only up to 155* after 2.5 hours at 300* oh well, it will still be good. wife isn't even home yet so no problem, I'm just kinda hungry...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    Looks like I can't make it in 3-4 hours, more like six hours.  oh well.  I am so hungry, it's wrapped and in the pan with the veggies and ale now.  Man it smells good.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Man! It's really hard to pull apart. I let it get to 205 IT and tried to pull it. It was really tough. I pulled it as much as I could and put it back on to cook down the liquid.  Granted it was a fairly cheap piece of meat but I thought it would pull apart easier. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2014
    Options
    A chuckie is very similar to pork when trying to pull, you gotta have dat Buttah feel. I have had the chick run up to 220 before I got the right feel for pulling. I also think that cookin higher that 260* until you exit the stall is crucial if you want pulled beef.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    Options
    It was more tender after another hour in the pan uncovered.  Pretty good sandwich.imageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    All's well that end's well-great looking eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.