Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loose band question

Options
Doing a clean burn today and noticed my top band is loose. I checked all the bolts - all are tight now but it is still loose. The band slides up and down right where the handle is. Thoughts or suggestions?
XL BGE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How tight?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Band loose=bolts loose and that leads to the dome/gravity eggsperience.  Not something you want to have happen-thighten the band bolts now-band can't be loose with "tight bolts".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I used the wrench that came with the egg to check them. Are as tight as I can get them. Do I need a torque wrench? How tight?
    XL BGE
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Torque Wrench. I think it's 10 Ft lbs on a cold egg.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Are the bolts bending?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Don't tighten them when hot. If you do when the bands contract it could crack the ceramics.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Even tight bolts can still slip  when the egg expands.My bands always used to slip on high heat pizza cooks even though the nuts on the bolts were bent and very tight.Eventually I double nutted and it hasn't been as bad since.I find it strange how some people can do 800-900 deg cooks and there bands stick while others like me always have them slip.Maybe its the enviroment where the person lives...I dunno?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks. It was tightening up as it cooled so I loosened the bolts and will tighten when completely cool. Dumb question but do the bolts screw into anything or are they just tight up against the ceramic? I didn't get any paperwork with my egg and the dealer had it assembled so I really have no clue on the bands, nuts, etc...
    XL BGE
  • jenericzac
    Options
    The bolts just tighten the band around the ceramic components. I tighten my bolts till they bend and have never had any issues on any type of cooks. According to BGE you cant crack the ceramic by overtightening the bolts but i have no reason to really try.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Thanks. It was tightening up as it cooled so I loosened the bolts and will tighten when completely cool. Dumb question but do the bolts screw into anything or are they just tight up against the ceramic? I didn't get any paperwork with my egg and the dealer had it assembled so I really have no clue on the bands, nuts, etc...
    There are no screws on the BGE bands - only bolts secured by nuts.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    There are instructions that should be followed when installing the bands. If it were me...I would ask the dealer for a set of those instructions and then reinstall the bands. There have been some horror stories on this forum regarding loose bands. But, that's just me.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options
    Check out this recent post:  
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options
    The link did not post (why??)  I will message the link to you.