Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to Purchase an Egg!

2»

Comments

• I have the platesetter but if I knew then what I know now I would have got an AR.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    I also have both the platesetter and AR with sliding grid. The AR gets used now exclusively. If you haven't checked out Tom's YouTube channel, it's a good place to start. Here is his video doing chicken. It explains a lot about the AR.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have both the platesetter and the Woo2/AR with Stone for my XL.  When you buy the combo the stone is basically free.  I love the flexibility of the WOO2/AR with the stone and use it often. However,  there is something about the simplicity of the Legs up platesetter for indirect cooking.  Plus a had the platesetter for a couple of years before I got the AR Combo.  Maybe its nostalgic.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Thermopen!!! some type of platesetter, call Tom @ Ceramic Grill Store, Denton Tx.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm in the same camp as @jhl192. I had the platesetter before I got the AR/spider and I still use the platesetter a lot. I guess I could get by without it but I find the piece pretty handy. The AR definitely offers more options but the platesetter is just so simple that sometimes its the best option for what I'm doing.

Congrats on jumping into the new addiction.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • That is what I paid for my LBGE at Culinary Concepts in Pompano Beach back in December.  Dean is a solid dude and runs a great business (make sure you get a free beer or six).  However, that price also included a platesetter.  Good luck and congrats!  Welcome to the asylum.

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • FaceDance said:

That is what I paid for my LBGE at Culinary Concepts in Pompano Beach back in December.  Dean is a solid dude and runs a great business (make sure you get a free beer or six).  However, that price also included a platesetter.  Good luck and congrats!  Welcome to the asylum.

That's the same place that gave me the quote. There's another place by me that's closer but have yet to get a quote from them.
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • piney said:
    Thermopen!!! some type of platesetter, call Tom @ Ceramic Grill Store, Denton Tx.
    I'm already covered on a thermopen....I've contacted Tom already lol...I have my "wishlist" building on his site.
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • This is my "wishlist" so far o_O  I think I have everything I need...am I missing anything?

imageimage
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • well, tomorrow I'll be off to buy my next addiction :)  bye bye tax return
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • That's the same price I paid, only I got a platesetter and no side tables or lump...and it was used once!

My platesetter broke so I got the oval combo from the Ceramic Grill Store. You won't regret it at all.

Have fun with the Egg too. They're flippin awesome.
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    edited February 2014
    Hey Konablue, Looks like you've been busy the last couple weeks. Looks to me like you're doing everything right. The only thing you might add is the 16" round stone from CGS. Works great in bottom of rig for indirects for more cooking area compared to oval or placed on top of the extender for great pizza. Tom used to have something on his site about cooking Papa Murphy's pizza on the egg. Try Papa Murphy's with their DeLite crust to get started. As many have already said, welcome to the cult!
  • I'm anxious to try pizza...I've been reading a lot of the threads here about em. I've never grilled one before.
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • That is a good price, and a plate setter works great for indirect cooks.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• I will definitely be getting the adjustable rig...I've read too many positives on here not to :)
    Gordon
    South Florida