Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling the BGE dome thermometer

Options
So this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you get that thing off?  I am having the hardest time trying to get it off to recalibrate it.  As far as I can tell, it's still reading fine, but I don't want to wait for it to be way off to check it.
Justin in Denton, TX

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    There is probably a squeeze clip on the inside of your dome that holds the thermo in. Squeeze it together and you will be able to slide it of the thermo stem. Once you get it off you can then throw it away cause it is not needed.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Have you opened up the dome to take a look...there's a metal clip which holds the stem in place.  Hold the clip and pull it out.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You have removed the spring steel clip from inside the dome, right? If so, the thermo should just pull right out. If it does not, you probably have a buildup of crud on the temp probe. Take a junk knife (or maybe some steel wool) and scrape the crud off of the probe, then pull it out.

And btw, the best place for the spring clip is the trash can. Completely unnecessary.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    There is a squeeze clip.  That's the problem I am having.  I can't get the clip off.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    get the knife

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Something to consider about the spring clip-I always dial my dome thermo so that roughly vertical is my temperature goal (either hot&fast or low&slow).  I find the clip keeps the thermo aligned.  Sometimes you do have to lose the clip due to high capacity (LBGE) cooks but that's the eggception for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Something to consider about the spring clip-I always dial my dome thermo so that roughly vertical is my temperature goal (either hot&fast or low&slow).  I find the clip keeps the thermo aligned.  Sometimes you do have to lose the clip due to high capacity (LBGE) cooks but that's the eggception for me.  FWIW-
    gravity plus a little build up on the stem keeps mine in place when using the same trick.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Open the dome and squeeze the clip tight with you left hand and pull the thermometer out by wiggling it around till it comes out with your right! free it up...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You have to squeeze the clip but not too tight. You'll bind it if you do. Try a little Pam on it. Gentle squeeze and work it loose.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like @lousubcap I usually put the clip back on. With the clip the thermo stays put when I spin the thermo and put the target temp at 12:00 o'clock. Makes it easy to see how things are going with a quick glance. I know the clip is not needed, but I tend to still use it, don't recall it ever getting in the way.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I use the clip, there were a few times when doing multiple pork butts that I squeeze  the clip and slide the shaft of the thermometer up and out of the egg and get the shaft out of the way of the meat. But it still holds the shaft in place, I too put the target temp at 12;00 high.
    Large, small, and a mini