Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey On the Egg

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, Thanksgiving is coming and I need some good instructions on doing a turkey on th egg. I have a guru so holding temps should not be a problem. The last turkey I did on the egg was dry as a bone. It was like the movie Christmas Vacation. I believe I want to brine the bird and roast her @ 350 with hickory smoke but this is new ground for me so give me some help here.[p]THANKS!!!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Why1504,
    here is the link to how i do them. ...i did one just that past sunday. ... very moist and flavorful....[p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Why1504
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks, but I want a smoked turkey not a roasted turkey.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    why1504,
    i'm sure someone will weigh in on a straight forward smoking method.. .but you could still 'roast' it and have a lot of smoked flavor. . that part of it is strictly up to how much wood you stick in the egg . ...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why1504,
    a little smoke goes a long way on turkey.
    how did you do it the last time?[p]turkey in the egg usually is ridiculously moist. did you go by internal temp when you pulled it off?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    why1504,[p]Poultry absorbs smoke very easily. You can over smoke a bird, giving it a bitter taste (trust me, I've done it). [p]The method Max posted will make you a hero on Thanksgiving![p]Smokey
  • Why1504
    Options
    stike,[p]Done right after I got my egg (5 years ago). Don't remember exactly but I believe I did it by time not temp.
  • Why1504
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Why1504,
    this one wont be dry if you cook at 350 and take it off the egg at 162 internal and rest it. if you cook it at 250 like the recipe suggests it will be a bit gummy when chewing so raise the temps to 325-350. cherry wood adds a nice color to the skin, just dont use too much

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    forgot the link

[ul][li]the link[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why1504,
    that'll kill it.[p]turkey has no real collagen, which is the idea behind a lo and slo cook.[p]and modern turkeys aren't very fatty, so they dry out quickly if overcooked.[p]roasting really is the way to go, you could add as much smoke as you wanted while roasting. just an opinion.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]STRONG confirmation about not using too much cherry. Don't ask me how I know these things.....[p]Last time I did a turkey, I used a small amount of pecan. Nice smoked flavor and it did not overwhelm the bird.[p]I followed the directions in the manual for my first turkey and a turkey done at 250 is both gummy and tomorrow's meat, unless of course you, in your clueless newbie state, can think of no other solution than to finish it the oven.[p]Again, don't ask...
  • Why1504
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thats the one that turned out like Christmas Vacation!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    why1504,
    In your post you said:[p]<blockquote>I believe I want to brine the bird and roast her @ 350 with hickory smoke but this is new ground for me so give me some help here.[p]</blockquote>[p]At 350, you are roasting. If you want to smoke, I think you would want to using a temperature around 250. Otherwise, I don't see how you could smoke and roast at the same temperature. What would be different that would make one cook a smoke and one a roast?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz