Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Griffin's Cream of Jalapeno Soup

Options
RAC
RAC Posts: 1,688
edited February 2014 in Off Topic

@Griffin - Jason all I have to say is you nailed this one. Boy this soup was awesome! I followed your recipe except I left the seeds of 2 jalapeno in to add a little heat. Outstanding!!! Pictures don't do it justice (only from my phone) BTW OT Cooked on the big clock in the kitchen.

imageimageimage

Ricky

Boerne, TX

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    This is still on my list of things to make... I need to, SOON! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Where's the recipe, por favor?
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This sounds good.  Ricky,   you like a little zing in your chow ,  just like I do. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Thanks @RAC . My wife put a lot of work into coming up with that recipe. There's a little deli located in Goliad, Texas called the Blue Quail Deli. Often times, when we are down at the ranch and have to run into town for supplies, be it food, ice, beer or going to the feed store or what not, we'll stop in there for lunch. Their cream of jalapeno soup will clear out you sinuses and get your nose running it's so hot. But so good. She's been trying to knock out a copy cat of their recipe for years. This one is pretty darn close but tamer on the heat which I am glad for. Sometimes theirs is just too spicy. It's not the most photogenic soup, but its darn tasty.

@warwoman you can find the recipe HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• warwoman
    Options
    Griffin said:

Thanks @RAC . My wife put a lot of work into coming up with that recipe. There's a little deli located in Goliad, Texas called the Blue Quail Deli. Often times, when we are down at the ranch and have to run into town for supplies, be it food, ice, beer or going to the feed store or what not, we'll stop in there for lunch. Their cream of jalapeno soup will clear out you sinuses and get your nose running it's so hot. But so good. She's been trying to knock out a copy cat of their recipe for years. This one is pretty darn close but tamer on the heat which I am glad for. Sometimes theirs is just too spicy. It's not the most photogenic soup, but its darn tasty.

Muchas gracias, compadre!
  • warwoman
    Options
    Griffin said:

Thanks Griffin! I'm in Seguin right now, and not too far from Goliad. May swing by the Blue Quail and check it out! I'm a type 2 myself, diagnosed about a year ago with an a1c of 5.7, so am working with exercise and diet, albeit I've been cheatin' a tad on this trip. It's funny, but it seems to be harder to find someone who isn't either diabetic or borderline diabetic nowadays!
  • RV10Flyer
    Options
    This looks great, I stopped by the store and picked up the ingredients so I can try it this weekend. Thanks.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• warwoman
    Options
    Made it by the Blue Quail Deli in Goliad today. Couldn't stay for lunch......but took a quart of the cream of jalapeño soup back to Seguin to go with sandwiches tonight. It's everything you said it would be, and more! Damn, it's good! Have enough left for lunch tomorrow. I'm going to try that when I get back home to the mountains and my egg. Thanks, Griffin!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @warwoman what were you doing in Seguin and Goliad? Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I need to go back to the doctor and get checked again. I have a feeling my might have crept back up on me. Last time this year, I started losing a lot of weight without doing anything. Went from 217 down to 200 something unexpectedly. Well, I've been dropping weight again and it isn't because of diet or exercise. Weighed myself this morning and I'm at 185. Need to get back to taking care of myself. I think the problem is that we have all bought into the food pyramid that the government has crammed down our throats are whole lives. I'm going back to the Primal diet. That really helped me get my sugars under control, but I love bread so much....  :( Keep working at it and you'll get your a1c back under control.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• warwoman
    Options
    Griffin said:
    @warwoman what were you doing in Seguin and Goliad? Sorry to hear about your diabetes. I need to go back to the doctor and get checked again. I have a feeling my might have crept back up on me. Last time this year, I started losing a lot of weight without doing anything. Went from 217 down to 200 something unexpectedly. Well, I've been dropping weight again and it isn't because of diet or exercise. Weighed myself this morning and I'm at 185. Need to get back to taking care of myself. I think the problem is that we have all bought into the food pyramid that the government has crammed down our throats are whole lives. I'm going back to the Primal diet. That really helped me get my sugars under control, but I love bread so much....  :( Keep working at it and you'll get your a1c back under control.

We've been traveling around Texas for the last month visiting relatives and friends. Our final stop was in Seguin at one of my wife's cousins house on the Guadalupe. Trees are greening up here now, but wing start doing so for at least another month back at the home 20. Will be leaving tomorrow to head back that way.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Made this yesterday, it is wonderful!! A keeper recipe that will be made many more times. 
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX