Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ten 50 bbq OT

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum

On Monday, the wife and I were driving out to the gun range. We had just left our house and saw a sign for a new BBQ joint opening in Richardson on I-75. My interest was piqued. Would it be any good? Would it be just another Dickey's? And I promptly forgot about it. For some reason, it came to mind today and I did some digging and found out the name and some other information. The man behind the joint is Larry Lavine. The man who founded Chili's. Suddenly, I am not so excited. I'm not sure if I want their baby back, baby back, bacy back ribs. God, I hope this place doesn't get pre-cooked frozen ribs and just toss them on a grill to thaw and heat.

ten 50 bbq

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I heard they are opening a Lockheart BBQ in downtown Plano! 

But who goes out to a BBQ joint when you have an egg at home?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Griffin
    Options

It's already open. I've heard good things, but haven't been up there yet.

Rowlett, Texas

• BuckeyeBob
    Options

I love my own BBQ but enjoy trying others to see what I like. And have to say, the Lockhart's in Dallas was incredible. Ended up there because Pecan Lodge was closed and it was just outstanding.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Chili's is lame, mostly what I've seen people eating in there is fair food (all from the fryer), the Chili icon they use is blasphemy, too. Anyway, agree with most, hard to go to a BBQ joint when YOU can beat them, we mostly only go when on the road, the places around town here in So.Fla. aren't worth the time.
  • Griffin
    Options
    We don't eat BBQ out in Dallas much, but I did hear the pitmaster at Lockhart trained down at Kreuz in Lockhart and they do get their sausages from there as well. Just talked to a buddy and we are going to try it out tomorrow. (Lockhart's that is)

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    @griffin I don't remember you talking to me about going to Lockharts tomorrow. I have been interested in it and heard it was damn good. I bet they got a line of people going down the street right now since its new up there.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In this part of the world chili's ribs suck. But I would give his place a once over.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options

I do when I travel...When I was in Phoenix this week I went to a place called Rudys. I think they are big in San Antonio too...it was pretty good brisket...somethin I haven't mastered yet.

Swmbo likes Chilis...me..not so much

I was in a third world country last year for 2 weeks where I had trouble finding food I could tolerate...Chilis was like a beacon in the fog...lived on thier fajitas.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Goodness Griffon you sure brought back a flood of memories with that name. We were living in Dallas when Lavine opened the first Chilis on Greenville. Was a darn good hamburger and a pretty good bowl of Red. (liked Tolberts better).
    Like anything else Chilis lost it soul from franchising and taste marketing. Next time we are in Dallas we will try Lavine' s place out.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Options

Larry Lavine himself saw this thread somehow and sent me an message

"

Griffin
    I saw your message about ten50 in Richardson. While Chili’s is a giant company today, it is not the same as the early years where we did everything from scratch with all fresh product.
    The ribs were added after I left the company. Please give us a try at ten50 when we open this summer.
    It will be all fresh wood smoked meats.
    Thank you
    Larry

Good to hear that they won't be following the Chili's methods of ribs. I'm actually looking forward to trying them out once they open. I sent him a letter back with a few questions. I hope he responds.

Rowlett, Texas