Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sell by date? (Pork butt)

Options
I have an 8# butt in the fridge and I just noticed the date. Sell by 2/20/14. Should I cook it right away or can it wait till Sunday for a turbo cook?
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    It can wait.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Sell by is different than a use by date.
  • NervousDad
    Options
    There is no "required" sell by date in the US. It's a estimate and it can be wrong on both sides of the date. So you should be fine on Sunday.
    Aurora,OH
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Just give it a good smell after you rinse it. Your nose will let you know if its still good.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Little Steven
    Options
    I hope so. I cubed up about 15 pounds of butt last weekend to make sausages. Didn't get to it but plan on it tomorrow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sir smell and look at the meat. If it smells and looks good then its good. I have seen meat that has a use or sell date go bad before the date. I have also seen meat be good after the sell/use by dates. A lot of it has to do with how the meat has been kept since processing. The dates dont always tell the story. Just trust your eyes and nose. Hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.