Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CDN v. Thermapen v. Maverick

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thermapen. Nearly every other person will say this as well.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If your talkin about the maverick instant read thermometer it is garbage. Inconsistent and slow!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I sprung for a low end semi instant read thermometer instead of the Thermapen... I like it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Love the thermapen. Wasted money in the Maverick. Wish I wouldn't have bought it. It has never worked right and it isn't necessary.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    If by CDN you are referring to the 672 ProAccurate folding thermo, it looks like a Thermapen, says it uses a type K thermocouple. Don't know what they are like now, but a year or so ago I ordered one and found it took between 8 and 10 seconds to get a reading. The good folks at Chef's Resource took it back and provided a full refund. It was my understanding the units were being reworked and replaced for all those who asked. 
    Link to post re the older 572.
    The Maverick is a constant use thermo, measuring pit and food. The Thermapen is an instant read thermo used to check food, not the pit. Two different tools. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I haven't invested in the Thermopen Instant-Read yet. I just use the BGE (Maverick 732 I think) constant dual/read w/remote. Only been egging fo a couple months, but it works perfect for me. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    CDN,  gives you more choices with thermocouple technology, backlit, infrared capability and multi-color.  It's also cheaper than Thermapen. 

I've owned several thermapens, had to send them in for repair/replacement.  Never really found the fast response claim, a consistent performer.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thermapen was my best accessory investment.
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited February 2014
    Can't beat the maverick for winter cooks. Gets me close and keeps me indoors then use the Tpen for the last part of the cook. I had a couple quick read ones that were worthless, had to remove the meat and wait wait wait for the read or watch them melt over the grill trying to get the read.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Thermapen, one of the best things I've even done to improve my cooking. The first thermometer that I've ever trusted.

The CDN is no slouch though, especially for the money. 
    Aurora,OH
  • Do not underestimate the value of those few extra seconds.  I have only had mine for a couple months, but have already done several cooks that required checking the temperature in a minimum of 3 places, whether that be multiple pieces of meat or a turkey that needs to be checked on both thighs and breasts.  Saving 3 seconds means cutting the amount of time your dome is open nearly in half compared to the best alternative instant read thermometer, and that alone is worth it, IMHO.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • thermapen
    Beaufort, SC
  • a guy posted on here when i first joined the cult....He said two things will make you a better cook in zero time flat....Buying your egg and getting a thermapen..it takes all the guessing out of steaks/chicken/veggies or anything you want to temp cook.... the top three things i own for cooking are the egg, adj rig and thermapen..i use thermapen inside alot also. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don't think you need the Thermapen, but you do need a reliable thermometer. Thermoworks has a few options which are quite fast, and much cheaper - Thermopop, rt600c, and the one mentioned above by @tarheelmatt.

I would get an instant read thermometer first as it would give you the biggest pay-off in terms of improving your cooking. The Maverick is nice to have, but not the first thermometer i would buy.

Nobody has been able to convince me yet that the 3 second difference between the Thermapen and rt600c is earth-shattering. If your dome is open for a minute longer the spike in temperature is not going to be nuclear.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I forget which CDN product I have, it looks like the thermapop, cost me $60 less than the thermapen and works great. Get a read in 3-5 seconds, cooks illustrated did a comparison and found it to be second to thermapen, so I grabbed it.

I bought the CDN before thermapen had made the thermapop, which I think is considerably less expensive than the pen?

I'll probably be tarred and feathered for saying I don't own a thermapen by the thermapen club, but I don't care.

I own a CDN and like it. There I said it. Lol.