Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with the Half Moon Raised grid with half moon stone and drip pan???

Options
The buyers remorse thread got me to thinking.  When I first got my egg I bought the Half Moon Raised Grid with Half Moon stone and drip pan.  I tried using it once to cook some corn bread and potatoes while grill a steak on the other half.    I had mixed results and it has sat on a shelf since then.   Does anyone have this EGGCESSORY and have positive comments about it.  What do you do with it?  Does it have a sweetspot that people use it for?  Please advise...If I get no responses I will be able to post on the Buyers remorse thread.  Thanks. 
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have these too, in use the raised grid all the time in my XL, it's good to have somewhere to leave things to finish off in a cooler area. I haven't used the half moon stone yet had it for 2 years, thinking I might just use it as full heat deflector for things like reverse searing and not worry about getting it ruined
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Yeah, I have a half moon stone too and I have not used it.  I came over from a gas grill where I could shut down burners for indirect zones.  I thought that I would use the stone to create the same scenario but have not needed to do it.  So far I have either used direct or indirect.

I am going to use the half stone this weekend just to get it dirty and make me feel better about spending the money on it.
    Chester, MD
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I have it too and rarely use it. I did however use it last night. Last night I did a sear on a tenderloin direct then I roasted it on the indirect side.

I have an XL so I have also used it in combo with the angle L brackets to go indirect over the smaller fire.

Mine was a Christmas gift so I can't complain about buyers remorse. However, I would say that it it's an accessory that I could do without.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Funny you bring this up...Mine is still in the box and i am taking it back for a refund, this is all due to the fact I bought the AR yesterday and don't think I will need the HMRG. I am a new egg head and just love this Forum. I wish I had joined the Forum before I went and bought all the things I thought I would need...All you need in my opinion is the AR
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

+1 on having the HMRG still in the box. I got mine when I got my XL and have not used it. Hopefully I will find it's "sweetspot" in warmer weather when I am much more diverse in my egging adventures.

+1 on JOHNMITCHELL...I wish I had spent more time here on the forum but again, I prolly wouldn't have understood as much of the awesome info without hands-on experience.

I love this forum,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!