Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyers remorse ( eggcessories that are useless)

Comments

• SkinnyV said:
    Love C Q ... Always keeps it real....and frugal I'm with you on oven pizzas.... Bge burns too much lump not that much of a difference
    I got over the egg honeymoon some time ago. The egg does many things better than a kitchen stove. But, there are plenty of things that are just as well done indoors. And done a lot easier. While the cook stays a lot warmer this time of year!
    My wife can't count my beers as accurratly when I cook outside on my BGE.  Cooking without drinking is no fun. 
    Columbia, SC

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

Yeah I agree on the BGE cook book I have read or should I say leafed thru it when I 1st got it and did cook one dish from it but now I get almost all my info from right here what a waste of $50.00

Mine came with a free membership to eggheadforrum.com so not a complete waste.
    Dunedin, FL
  • A good craftsman doesn't blame his tools.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

BGE's old second level grill grate with the swing out legs.  Wobbly and just about useless since you couldn't put anything under it. 

Sorry that no one told you how to spring those legs to grip your grate real tight! I can lift the combined grates off as one rigid piece!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Where dat spring is?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    RRP said:

BGE's old second level grill grate with the swing out legs.  Wobbly and just about useless since you couldn't put anything under it. 

Sorry that no one told you how to spring those legs to grip your grate real tight! I can lift the combined grates off as one rigid piece!
    Even more rigid if you spread the legs further apart.
    canuckland
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    RRP said:

That's the one.......mine was for a medium and definitely wobbled all over the place even when installed like that.  And by the time you removed all the food from that half to swing it up, what was the point?  Might work for some, but worthless for me.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    grege345 said:
    Yes I forgot the BGE cookbook. What a waste!!!

+10000000
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Platesetter
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2014
    That's my issue with garbagge I thought @rrp had mod for mine to actually do that. Also medium
    RRP said:

That's the one.......mine was for a medium and definitely wobbled all over the place even when installed like that.  And by the time you removed all the food from that half to swing it up, what was the point?  Might work for some, but worthless for me.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Mickey said:
    Platesetter

+1. Returned mine 3 days after buying the egg. At least I didn't get stuck with it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I know mine work fine for me - in fact I have two of them and use on a regular basis! Could it be you haven't noticed the 90 degree relationship between the lower and upper grates? Also the more you spring them the tighter they grip - unless your folding grate has some broken welds I suppose.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    RRP said:
    I know mine work fine for me - in fact I have two of them and use on a regular basis! Could it be you haven't noticed the 90 degree relationship between the lower and upper grates? Also the more you spring them the tighter they grip - unless your folding grate has some broken welds I suppose.
    I got to tell you @RRP I'd rather have spent the money on that instead of some of the other stuff I have bought
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited February 2014
    The BGE 3-Tiered Rack.  It was 25% off everything when buying new egg.

Please note, it does give me space but it's not very friendly when it comes to cooking anything over 350's.  Hard to get into between racks with tongs.  Too much time to work between racks… then the cooker gets too hot.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014

SkinnyV said:

Love C Q ... Always keeps it real....and frugal
    I'm with you on oven pizzas.... Bge burns too much lump not that much of a difference

I got over the egg honeymoon some time ago. The egg does many things better than a kitchen stove. But, there are plenty of things that are just as well done indoors. And done a lot easier. While the cook stays a lot warmer this time of year!

I don't agree with you often, but I'm right there with ya. The egg is just another cooking toy for me. I use whatever helps me achieve the best results...If that's the egg, great!

You don't see me posting steak cooks now cause I do all my steaks indoors. I can make a steak on my stovetop with a CI pan better than any steak anyone can grill on the egg (unless they're using a cast iron pan on the egg). It's quicker and gets me superior results.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited February 2014

I use both the plate setter and the AR and the Woo2. I regret buying the Woo3 because I already had a Woo2 and a spider. That grid extender for the adjustable rig is a pain to use so I bought another oval grid and used some bolts to make my own extender.  That works well when I am using the Woo2 also.

Every half moon thing I ever bought I never used. A couple of long forgotten cheap thermometers have been ditched. Who knows how many little things I picked up here and there that I never used.

I never posted in the thread about the cost of owning my egg because I really can't add up everything I spent and really don't want to know.    

:>
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Not necessarily "useless" but the accessories I could do without:
    -Ash Tool for the Small/Mini - does not work well on the Small Egg due to its tiny blade and the lip on the bottom of the Egg. It works on the Mini as there's no lip but I prefer to clean it from the top.
    -Grill Gripper - doesn't work on CI grids & not as functional as a Thirdhand tool from ThirdeyeQ.
    -Maverick thermometers - my ET-732 is unreliable and pretty inaccurate even with new probes. This is my second and last Maverick thermo (first one had a limit of about 15 feet instead of the 100 feet it was supposed to have). I know the ET-732 is popular and works for most but I'm batting 0-2 and won't step up to that plate again.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @R2Egg2Q - the small/mini ash tool can be fixed to work better for cleaning out the small. 

It took maybe 15mins to do. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I like my plate setters. I have one for my XL, large, small, and mini and I always use them for indirect. I put the plate setter feet up then grate then my adjustable rig on the grate in my XL and it works great. I also have the AR for my large and a woo for the small and mini but I really like to use the plate setters better than stones.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2014
    cazzy said:

I don't agree with you often... 
    That's okay. You'll figure it out. Eventually.   :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Foldable grill/grate... fell apart and didn't hold anything.
    BGE Cookbook.... SWMBO bought it for me

Otherwise I have held off buying too many accessories.  Love the PSWOO, spider and platesetter I have.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    cazzy said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Love C Q ... Always keeps it real....and frugal I'm with you on oven pizzas.... Bge burns too much lump not that much of a difference
    I don't agree with you often, but I'm right there with ya. The egg is just another cooking toy for me. I use whatever helps me achieve the best results...If that's the egg, great! You don't see me posting steak cooks now cause I do all my steaks indoors. I can make a steak on my stovetop with a CI pan better than any steak anyone can grill on the egg (unless they're using a cast iron pan on the egg). It's quicker and gets me superior results.

Only problem with doing steaks indoors is my lack of a good ventilation system. Doing them in CI on the Egg prevents the smoke detectors going off, opening windows in winter with fans going to clear the smoke, and the smell inside the house. Better on the Egg with CI? Probably not. But a lot cleaner and just as good. And if I want to add some smoke I can.
  • I love and use my PS all the time. I don't have an AR but am considering it.  I would say Vertical Roaster and Beer Can Chicken holder. Runner up, the BGE cookbook. The cookbook is kind of like that carnival ride: it looks cool from far away but once you get up close you say "Nah".
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Oh boy. Where to start? I'd have to say a lot of my "eggcessories" aren't really "eggcessories" as I had them prior to getting an egg.

Worst - BGE cookbook. There has to a be a recipe of two I've tried in there, but none stand out that I can remember. Never did follow their suggestions for cooking. Time and temps were always off from how I would normally do it.

BGE grate extender - not the greatest tool in the world, although I have dropped it straight down in the egg to get closer to the coals to cook steak and have used it on top of my AR to get another level. Mostly it sits in the shed.

Maverick 73 got it right before the 732 to came out. Crappy signal. Can't sit inside less than 10 feet from my egg with a glass door between us. I've had better luck with crappy Home Depot and Target knockoffs over the years although they would only last about 2 years. But for those two years they would at least work. I never use remote temp probes anymore.

Auber Pit Controller - overshoots and undershoots quite a bit before finally settling down. No open lid detection. Ok for a cheap pit controller, but kinda wish I would have gotten the IQ110 at the time (I hear they FREAKIN Rock!!) Glad I have a Flame Boss now. More $, but more features.

Beer Can Chicken Stands ok, I admit, I used to use them a lot years and years ago. Would fill up my whole offset smoker with them. Now, they live in the shed collecting dust somewhere.

Cheap cooking utensils. Just buy good quality stuff. Nuff said.

As for the placesetter, I still use mine interchangeably with the AR. I like using it for pizzas and baking bread. So I don't find it useless.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    nevr bought a platesetter so i cant complain about that :)) now i dont like the cast iron grate and my wusthoff paring knife. dont know what that paring knife is good for, have often thought to take it off the knife strip and put it by the coal bin to open bags with it to get some use out of it. the cast iron grate is just so overated
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Not exactly an eggaccessory but worst thing I ever fabricated had to be this thing.

I forget what the goal was, maybe something to do with my swing grid way back when, as the black porcelain grid with the notch (background) was for that set-up.  It was a true one and done attempt........lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nevr bought a platesetter so i cant complain about that :)) now i dont like the cast iron grate and my wusthoff paring knife. dont know what that paring knife is good for, have often thought to take it off the knife strip and put it by the coal bin to open bags with it to get some use out of it. the cast iron grate is just so overated
    They are for cutting pares....duh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    ++++X on the BGE Cookbook.  Ouch!!!  I hate it when I get sucked in by Brand marketing.  My platesetter was part of the package on the XL.  It ranks right up there because of the amount of space it consumes buried in my deck cabinet.  Beer can chicken stand - can't believe I fell for that hype.  It could be worse, but I don't know how...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    nevr bought a platesetter so i cant complain about that :)) now i dont like the cast iron grate and my wusthoff paring knife. dont know what that paring knife is good for, have often thought to take it off the knife strip and put it by the coal bin to open bags with it to get some use out of it. the cast iron grate is just so overated
    They are for cutting pares....duh

well that expains it, i grow asian pares and here i went out and got a european knife, i need an asian style paring knife
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it