Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BlackStone (pizza lovers must click)

Options
rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
For those who love pizza. Here is an off topic contribution that I have not seen a thread on.  I know there are other pizza lovers here.

Few have spoken about the BlackStone oven, if your like me and saw a reply or two about it. You just read over it and need to take a closer look.

@smokeyj mentioned it in my thread OT - Who has a brick oven, Any recommendations?  when I was seriously shopping for a wood fired oven.  For me I had to hold off for awhile on actually going through with the WFO idea.

My goal has always been to create a Neapolitan Pizza.  A caputo 00, water, salt and sourdough starter only dough that is cooked at 750-900* stone temps and higher temps above the pie. True NP pizza is cooked in less than 90 seconds. I got my first egg for BBQ and my second egg (1st medium, 2nd XL) for the same except I always hoped for Neopolitan pizza from it.  I gave up after a month or so.

Recently, I stumbled across the BlackStone again on another forum.  For those who don't know:

This oven is a propane tank fired 2-stone oven.  The lower stone is just above the propane flame and is on a rotator, this is your pizza surface.  The upper stone is above the upper stone paralel to the lower stone and your pizza.  The flame touches the stationary upper stone. 

There is a company called 2-stone, that has been around for a little while now.  They have a very similar oven that for $2k+ creates the same setup.  My thought always was why not go for the real WFO if im going to spend that money. The BlackStone is now at Lowes for $400 or less I got mine with a coupon I bought off ebay. for $360.

For me it is well worth it. Below you can see my first attempt at a NP pizza on the oven, 55 seconds. ( though not at all my first attempt at fermenting this dough ) This was 3 weeks ago and have done much experimenting but little picture taking (I am sorry! trying to get better)

If you are interested I would check out some youtube videos.   Also, this wiki: BlackStone Modification Wiki

I am in no way affiliated with BlackStone I just thought others might be interested in the only sub $2k option to consistenly create these conditions.

Some day I will still go for the real thing, but for at least the next 365.  This is going to be great.  BTW it gets up to NP temps in 20 minutes or so and NY temps in 8-10

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    AWESOME Margherita!!! I have thought about the Blackstone, but that's all... so far. Can't see spending for a WFO, but the BS has possibilities!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rtt121
    Options
    Thanks! They have gotten better since then!

It is a pretty basic oven but it really works well.  IR therm necessary.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    That looks neat, how fast do you go through a propane tank?.
    Is it impossible for a bge to get the same pizza style.
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You can get it from here for $369. Free shipping and no tax for most.

http://griddleguru.com/blackstone-patio-pizza-oven.html
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I think I may pull the trigger on this. More research needs to be done though.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

Nice looking pizza. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Do you have the new model? I like the new model where they have the metal plate on the right side where the heat deflector sits in.

I have the glow bar version. Only mod I done was add a bearing but sems the same as just moving the collar down below.

I wanted a wfo, that's how I ended up researching ceramic grills years ago and ended getting a ceramic. I was always looking to make better pizza.

I then bought the kettle pizza attachment, which I go some real good results from. I sold that after seeing the Black Stone pizza oven and have not looked back.

It is a great pizza cooker. None of my grills or oven will see another pizza.

• smokeyj
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    That looks neat, how fast do you go through a propane tank?. Is it impossible for a bge to get the same pizza style.

I got mine in the middle of October and used every Friday baking 2 or 3 pies each time. My first tank ran out in the middle of January. I think you get like 5 hours burn time.
    My model is 10 psi, the new one is 5psi. Not sure how much that will change the fuel useage.

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    From experience, I'd say build a WFO or save for one. Pizza is just the beginning.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • rtt121
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    That looks neat, how fast do you go through a propane tank?. Is it impossible for a bge to get the same pizza style.
    Id say from previous experience (same burner brewing beer for 8 years) you will get 2.5 -3 hours on full blast.  A lot of pies.  Also depends on below response on regulator.. and how hot you cook.  IE if you only cook NY style you will never need full blast.

@smokeyj

I do have the new model I think.  Itis 5 PSI instead of 10 which causes it to heat slower but I think that is OK.  I have a 10 PSI regulator on hand if I need it but I don't think I do.

@cazzy do it
  • rtt121
    Options
    FYI for those looking to get it shipped..

Via a lot of research I found out that prior to being available at Lowes (where you can go look at it an open it)  A LOT of shipped united had broken stones or broken shafts.  I believe packaging has been made a bit better but I would opt for Lowes with a discount as you can check it all out and or bring it back if need be.
  • smokeyj
    edited February 2014
    Options

rtt121 said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Id say from previous experience (same burner brewing beer for 8 years) you will get 2.5 -3 hours on full blast.  A lot of pies.  Also depends on below response on regulator.. and how hot you cook.  IE if you only cook NY style you will never need full blast.

@smokeyj

I do have the new model I think.  Itis 5 PSI instead of 10 which causes it to heat slower but I think that is OK.  I have a 10 PSI regulator on hand if I need it but I don't think I do.

@cazzy do it

• cazzy
    Options

AWESOME Margherita!!! I have thought about the Blackstone, but that's all... so far. Can't see spending for a WFO, but the BS has possibilities!

If you buy one, I will be right behind you. You're enough a snob that if you buy it, I know it will be worth it.
  • rtt121
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If you buy one, I will be right behind you. You're enough a snob that if you buy it, I know it will be worth it.
    If you buy it, MORE will come.
  • smokeyj
    Options

Not sure why my comments are showing on my last post.

I do mainly NY style and turn my regulator down 1 1/2 turns.  I will start more neo pies soon. I have 3 dough balls in the fridge for Saturday.

Also Ceramic Grillworks will is selling these. You may want to call. Last I checked they weren't on his site yet.

• cazzy
    Options
    Did both of you mod yours? If so, for what reason?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cazzy said:

You're enough a snob that if you buy it, I know it will be worth it.
    Hahaha! Could be, but I can't eat as much pizza as in years past. So I probably won't buy one. At least until my kitchen oven dies. :)  You're on your own, bud.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rtt121
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
     Is it impossible for a bge to get the same pizza style.
    No.  But for more than maybe 1 pie timed perfectly... yes.

I achieved it once.  XL egg.  18" wok filled with sand above coals.  XL pizza stone above wok about 1/2" raised with cut steel threaded rods.  Was able to achieve a pinned Tel Tru with a stone of 800..  Cooked a great pie and then 4 minutes later couldn't keep the bottom from burning on a 900* plus stone
  • rtt121
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Did both of you mod yours? If so, for what reason?
    Not yet no.  The pizza stone level is adjustable and I will say that I have it as high as it will go.

I would think the 10PSI model which I have read heats to NP temps in 10-12 minutes might require mods but for me so far the 5PSI at full blast and 16-22 minutes gets me right to NP temps.  I put a pie on for 1 minute and then pull it off.  I back off the dial a bit dependingon how long till i throw on next pie.  With IR it is pretty straight forward and quick to react.... unlike egg
  • cazzy
    Options
    stantrb said:

From experience, I'd say build a WFO or save for one. Pizza is just the beginning.

Splain you self!! :P
  • rtt121
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'd guess he means that this I am only using for pizza. I would stick to my oven/egg for my bread.

A wfo could and would cook the most delicious pizzas and breads. And whatever else.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I want to build a WFO that is mainly because I like to build things. I never really did mason work before. However I never remodeled a bathroom before either and that turned out pretty kick a$$
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• smokeyj
    Options

Only mod I did was the bearing but it didn't change anything. My platter was spinning just as well without it.

Mine bakes pretty awesome right out of the box.

Couple older pics here. The whole pie pic was with cheese with skim milk. It browns much faster than whole milk cheese. So I try getting the whole milk cheese now.

• rtt121
    Options
    @smokeyj
    Make the cheese

@grege345
    I think your wife wouldn't mind getting a BS or similar oven and then also building the WFO
  • smokeyj
    Options

rtt121 said:
    @smokeyj
    Make the cheese

@grege345
    I think your wife wouldn't mind getting a BS or similar oven and then also building the WFO

I been wanting to make some but never order the rennet. I was thinking of trying the junket rennet since I can get local but not sure that will work.

• rtt121
    Options
    Junkert rennet works.

You need to make sure that when you reply that you are not tabbed in like the rest of the quote.  IE qhen you click after the last line of my quote on the last post.  Dont click enter.. push the down key.  Enter keeps you going within the quote, down gets you out of it.
  • smokeyj
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Junkert rennet works.

You need to make sure that when you reply that you are not tabbed in like the rest of the quote.  IE qhen you click after the last line of my quote on the last post.  Dont click enter.. push the down key.  Enter keeps you going within the quote, down gets you out of it.
    Thanks for that info. I was wondering, when I use to use the quote in the past I don't remember that happening.
  • stantrb
    Options
    cazzy said:

stantrb said:

Splain you self!! :P
    WFO is to high heat cookin what Egg is to low heat cooking. 1000*? No problem. 800+* for 3 solid hours? No problem. Roast a whole pig overnight at 350 with only retained heat? No problem.

I love my WFO; best bread, meat, veggies, pizza, everything. Better than an Egg on everything except bbq. But it takes a lot of fuel and a lot of time to get it going. Of course, my wfo also makes lump charcoal as a waste product...

• ItsmyAlias
    Options
    @stantrb - pictures or your set up?
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Your pizza looks amazing.  Unfortunately, I moved my pizza making inside to the oven (500 top rack on stone) after countless heatbreaks on the BGE with temps over 700F.  Thanks for the post and someday I will take the plunge . . . my italian wife might even agree to this one!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stantrb
    edited February 2014
    Options

@stantrb - pictures or your set up?

See below.