Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Chicago Style Pizza on the BGE, cooked in Cast Iron Skillet

Options

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds great. Details?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Yes, Details please.  My wife was just asking about this today.  Recipe? Temps?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

photo ChicagoStylePizza3_zpsb131677b.jpgphoto ChicagoStylePizza2_zps6ad67445.jpgphoto ChicagoStylePizza4_zps67858df5.jpg

Not sure if I can get thes pics to post, as that seems to be one of my weak links...at any rate, my inspiration to try my first Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza came from all of you more experienced types on this forum....so thanks to all of you who post and motivate those like me.  I have only been in the Egging game for about 10 months and had a hankering for Chicago Style...so I read all the posts on here that I could on that subject and voila!  This was a 4 cup of flour ball of pizza dough, overnight rise in the fridge, second rise in the Cast Iron Skillet (12").  Made my own pizza sauce and did the typical Chicago Style - Sausage, Shredded Mozzarella, Sauce, Basil, Oregano, and top with Parmesan.  In the Egg at 400, Platesetter legs down, 1/2" spacers and Skillet on top of the spacers for 45 mins.  Crazy-Good and SWMBO loved it, so that means I get to do it again!

Again, thanks again to all of you more experienced types who post and motivate those like me!

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'm doin this. This weekend!!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EagleIII
    Options

@corey24

@grege345,

Sorry about that first picture with no comments...as you can see, the picture thing is still my weak link on this forum.  OK - RECIPE is that wasa  1 lb ball of pizza dough...if you make your own, that is about a four cup ball of dough.  Let rise once, then punch down and let rise in your oiled Cast Iron Skillet(does NOT have to be Cast Iron, I just like it).  After second rise in skillet, punch down with knuckles, leaving a 1/2" or so "lip" of dough around the outside edge for the crust, then top with 1lb browned crumbled sausage, 1 lb shredded Mozzarella(shred your own...cheaper and it melts way better), then top the cheese with pizza sauce(your choice...make your own is way better than bought...we can talk sauce recipes if you need), then top sauce with shredded parmesan, sprinkle top with dried Basil and dried Oregano, probably a teaspoon each on a pizza this size.  Drizzle with two or three tablespoons of Olive Oil and place in the Egg at 400.  Platesetter legs down, 1/2" spacers on the PS and place your skillet on top of the spacers.  Should take about 40 - 45 mins.  Good Luck, but be prepared to make a lot more of these once your family gets a taste! 

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    No prob, Looks awesome.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• johnkitchens
    Options
    It looks very good. I haven't tried a pizza yet, but I plan to very soon.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Num Num Num
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good! That's how I used to make 'em until I found this. For an authentic Chicago deep dish, go here... http://www.realdeepdish.com/ ... to read about the intricacies. And then click on his pdf for the recipe. He gives you different amounts depending on the size of your pan. He also has a very short video on how to make the dough. Watch it!! Literally, 5 minutes or less, by hand!! From the time you open the bag of flour until you take your first bite... about 2 hours. No overnight. No 3 days cold rise in the fridge. Two hours and you are eating pizza!!!

Oh, and don't use shredded cheese. get a block of dry mozz and slice it. Lay the slices on the dough, then the (uncooked) sausage, then whatever other toppings, then sauce. Maybe a little parm-reg on top. The sliced mozz layer keeps everything else from making the dough soggy. 

Short of heating up a frozen DiGiorno, this is the easiest pizza you will ever make! And IMO, one of the tastiest! Mine looks like this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The crust have cornmeal in it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Ha mickey, I opened the site and scrolled down to find this . . . funny test.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • EagleIII
    Options

@Carolina Q - Thanks for the link...you are right, that does look easy and a lot faster.  Going to give it a try!  Thanks for the input!

• EagleIII
    Options
    @henapple - Thanks for the compliment.....that meas a lot coming from a guy with 8,100+ posts!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Carolina_Q has the best tip, use thin sliced Mozza, not shredded. Overlap the slices starting in the middle of the pie, they will hold the sides to the pan as you press them in place. The key is thin slices, IMO, two layers avoids the liquid from the toppings wetting the crust. After slicing, I leave the cheese out on the counter to dry a bit, or in the fridge without cover for 2-3 hours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!