Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I use the electric starter as well.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I must be the only guy here using rubbing alcohol to start my fire. 
    Nope. I do too.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am glad I am not alone. I love this method. It's quick and easy and works great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I thought for sure I would switch to a torch after I used up the box of BGE starters that came with my Egg, but so far I really like them.  I use scissors to cut one up to 2 or 3 pieces and bury them under a few pieces of lump, and I'm getting up to temp in about 10 minutes or so.
    NOLA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol all the time to start my BGE. Works great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ElCapitan
    Options
    I've been using the BGE starters in 2 or 3 places to start my lump.  When I want it hot, I pile the coal up in the center and light that and then spread it out once it gets going.  Doing it that way makes it harder to keep it at lower temps so I only do it when I want pizza level temps.

I'm intrigued by the thought of using rubbing alcohol.  How do you do it?  I was thinking of moving to a Looft lighter once I ran out of starter cubes so I'm interested in what works best.
    XL Owner
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I use a chimney starter with a bit of lump, pour it in a hole I made in the lump  thats in the egg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    I've been using the BGE starters in 2 or 3 places to start my lump.  When I want it hot, I pile the coal up in the center and light that and then spread it out once it gets going.  Doing it that way makes it harder to keep it at lower temps so I only do it when I want pizza level temps.

I'm intrigued by the thought of using rubbing alcohol.  How do you do it?  I was thinking of moving to a Looft lighter once I ran out of starter cubes so I'm interested in what works best.
    Please note as Shiff said, that you should be using 91% rubbing alcohol not the standard 70%.

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol all the time to start my BGE. Works great.
    +1 0n the alcohol.  Although sometimes ill use some starter cubes, especially with low and slow.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I just bought a mapp torch last week. I've tried it all. Rubbing alcohol didn't work for me. Mapp torch was awesome.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JJ420
    JJ420 Posts: 1
    Options

I'm thinking I made a big mistake buying a BGE! Way to many problems.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 3 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Use whatever method works for you.  When you get tired of waiting for your egg to be ready, spend the 38 bucks and get a MAPP weed torch.  Free delivery with Amazon Prime.  A tank costs 10 dollars and lasts 4 months @ 4X week.  You can also use propane - no idea how long a $4 tank lasts. It is simple - push button igniting, aim where you want, and seconds later the lump is lit.  http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404325997&sr=8-1&keywords=mapp+weed+torch

I like this over the standard MAPP torch because the length gets your body parts away from the flame.  It's also great on weeds...

Santa Paula, CA
  • tncrna
    tncrna Posts: 8
    Options
    3 crumpled newspapers in a ball in the bottom of a Weber chimney, new/dry natural lump charcoal in the chimney, place in the egg on top of coals from the last cook, light, come back in ten minutes, put on welding gloves, dump nice red glowing lumps into the Egg, and good to go. Vent open on bottom, no daisy wheel on top, until desired temp is reached, the bottom vent to the width of my thumb, and fine tune top daisy vent to desired temp. Any suggestions? Also, use a household blow dryer to get up to a higher temp quicker: just point it at the open bottom vent, with the screen closed, and blow on Low, for a couple minutes, until higher temp reached. 
    Also, this pry bar makes a great charcoal stirrer, and can be used to clean out ash (pic attached)
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I buy recycled store brand lunch sacks wadded up 2 or three depending on the cook.  i drizzle some cooking oil.  cheaper than paper towels & I don't get the newspaper anymore due to the internet.  I also use this method in a chimney when using my Circle-J open pit, works like a champ...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...