Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC...really, a cooler?

Options
As I peruse this great forum, I see over and over again "...FTC...".  When I first started, it took awhile to figure out that meant to wrap the meat in foil, then towels, and throw it all in a cooler. I don't have a dedicated cooler handy...I suppose I could drag a cooler out of the basement for such cooks. For simplicity's sake, couldn't a person put the Foiled, Toweled protein in an unheated Oven and get the same results?  I assume the cooler is just basically a well insulated container. Wouldn't the oven fit the bill?
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sure the oven would be better say than just sitting on the counter. The idea is to use a smaller cooler or one just big enough so the wrapped bundle is in fairly tight with little air space, but as long as the lid stays on tight even trapped air is better than no protection like in an oven. Remember your basic principle of heat transfer...heat seeks cold so that oven is still colder than the FT bundle and will help cool it down.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    your unheated oven wont hold the butt temps up for 6 or more hours. it used to be a way to get things done early before guests arrived or if it was just done too early but that idea seems to get lost as some have a need to do it anyways :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You have many options. A cooler works just as well as a faux cambro. As far as the oven I usually preheat it to 170 and then TURN IT OFF before putting toweled meat in and it works just fine. I live in south ms where it is always warm and have in a pinch put my toweled meat in a parked vehicle the inside will be around 120. So no you dont have to use a cooler. There are many ways to skin a cat!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    To RRP, I had always heard the opposite, cold seeks heat. Whatever.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ... it used to be a way to get things done early before guests arrived or if it was just done too early but that idea seems to get lost as some have a need to do it anyways
    That's the only time I do it. Otherwise, save the foil. :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    SGH said:
    You have many options. A cooler works just as well as a faux cambro. As far as the oven I usually preheat it to 170 and then TURN IT OFF before putting toweled meat in and it works just fine. I live in south ms where it is always warm and have in a pinch put my toweled meat in a parked vehicle the inside will be around 120. So no you dont have to use a cooler. There are many ways to skin a cat!!
    Not sure why the emphasis on turning the oven off.  The point of not keeping it in or on a heat source would be not to either burn it or dry it out.  The fact that the oven is at or below the temp of the meat prevents the former, and the aluminum foil should prevent the latter.  I think an oven set and maintained at 170 would be just as good as a cooler, and you could keep it in there as long as you like.  If you're really worried about the drying out, add a bowl of boiling hot water at the start and that should keep the humidity in the oven high enough to simulate the cooler.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
     Not "Whatever.", @RRP is right. It's the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Ouch, OK.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I turn the oven off as a safety measure. I have caused an oven fire with stray lint in a gas oven. Just didnt want to give any unsafe advise. You can leave the oven on just be aware of the risk of cloth in the oven with it lit.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Cold isn't a thing... it is the absence of heat.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ok, now i know how these things start and get writtten in stone, why would anyone put a towell in a lit oven :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    What is a Cold-hearted SWMBO??? :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    fto, ftc, ftcar, who cares. Foiled and toweled on the counter it'll probably stay hot for 2 hours. I can't use the oven...I'm usually drying the mini schnauzer after her bath.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

As said above, packing in a cooler with towels removes the air space, slowing the cool down.   An oven turned off would allow a speedier cool down.   With an oven turned on (even low as it goes) would tend to dry out the meat.

Just my opinion.

Cookin in Texas
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    I use the microwave frequently. FTM?
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• henapple
    Options
    FTW...foil, towel, washer
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I use the microwave too. Much smaller volume.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Thanks, all. Appreciate the advice.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What is a Cold-hearted SWMBO??? :)
    I got one of those. Just recently tho
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• boatbum
    Options
    henapple said:

henapple - try the dryer.   You can always turn it on, put a little heat in if needed.   Nothing like a fluffy Pork Butt.   (leave out the dryer sheets tho - they leave a bad taste)
    Cookin in Texas
  • henapple
    Options
    I thought you were talking about the mini schnauzer....too noisy.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    boatbum said:
    henapple said:

henapple - try the dryer.   You can always turn it on, put a little heat in if needed.   Nothing like a fluffy Pork Butt.   (leave out the dryer sheets tho - they leave a bad taste)
    That's why I tenderized with those wool tennis ball things.
  • boatbum
    Options
    henapple said:
    I thought you were talking about the mini schnauzer....too noisy.

Touche'    u got me....  hahahahha
    Cookin in Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Don't listen to the other people here, the second law doesn't apply to Canada, where cold definitely seeks heat.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I use the microwave frequently. FTM?

Just don't turn the microwave on, there sparky.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

I have used the hot/cold bag that I bought at Walmart. I haven't had to wait a long time before eating anything that I have egged though. Only used my cooler once, after putting hot water in it to preheat.

I always FT but have been using the hot/cold bag.

....still just a newbie,

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    FTbTC. Foil, Trash bag to catch the juice leaking out of foil. Towel. Cooler.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited February 2014
    Options
     Not "Whatever.", @RRP is right. It's the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
    I think it depends on your point of view.  Relatively speaking.  Similar to the darkness suckers that most people refer to as light bulbs.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    SGH said:
    I turn the oven off as a safety measure. I have caused an oven fireI with stray lint in a gas oven. Just didnt want to give any unsafe advise

Just put the foil-wrapped meat in the oven without the towel. That's what I do and I keep the oven on at 165 or 170.
    Dave - Austin, TX