Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Beef cheek meat

Hi all.  Just wondering if any of you have done any recipes using beef cheek meat.  I have been given several packages of it because no one else wanted it.  I also received several beef tongues, but I have a great recipe for those.  So I'm just wondering, does anyone have a favorite recipe for cheek meat?  Thanks in advance...

Comments

• The simpler the better, throw them in a dutch oven(cheek and tongues) with some sliced onions, garlic, salt and pepper with very little  beef broth so it won't stick to the bottom.
    Pulled them together and make some tacos, with cilantro and salsa.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Sir I have numerous for cheek and tongue. Im at work unil 6:00pm so cant spend much time on the computer. If know one has posted by the time I get home I will fix you up my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    hve never seen them but the first thing that comes to mind after googling a pic of one was to smash it flat and make mini braciole, sounds better than beef cheek :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the responses!  SGH, I will look forward to more ideas.  FlyingTivo, that's exactly one of my recipes for the beef tongue.  Tastes sooo good.  Can't wait to try these cheeks.  If they taste anything similar to tongue, I will be happy.  Tongue has such an awesome, rich beef flavor.
  • hve never seen them but the first thing that comes to mind after googling a pic of one was to smash it flat and make mini braciole, sounds better than beef cheek :D
    Might be worth a try.  Thanks.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Barbacoa. Perfect hangover cure. That is all.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Sir here is a recipe I think you will enjoy. You can use either the cheek or tounge for this one. First be sure to remove all  the fat and any sinew as it has a off taste. Do not parboil no matter what you may have read else where. You need to cook this in a shallow pan as cheek does well with a braise. Dont worry it will pick up plenty of smoke. Now to the cooking. You need to brown the cheek. Two ways of doing this that work equally well. Either sear on the egg or coat with flower and brown in a frying pan. Remember only brown it. Heat egg to 225-250 degrees. Add browned cheek to pan. Add 2 cups beef stock and 1/2 cup chicken stock. I know what you are thinking but trust me on the chicken stock. Then add 2 diced onions 2-3 diced carrots 4-5 garlic cloves 1-3 bay leaves and 5 portobello mushrooms sliced. Just a not e for the browning I prefer the skillet and flour method. Now put the pan in the smoker and cook until you can cut the cheek with a fork. Yes a fork. This will be several hours. Once cheek can be cut with a fork remove and enjoy. I picked up a few blue ribbons with this recipe a few years back. I hope you enjoy. I will post more recipes if you are interested. Good luck my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Sir salt and pepper to taste. I never give amounts on salt and pepper because we all like it a little different. But do salt and pepper to your liking.

Status- Standing by.

• Thank you SGH, I appreciate your feedback.   :)
  • SGH
    You are more than welcome.

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH I have a very similar braising liquid to yours, except only chicken stock (always in the freezer) and added bay leaf. Just before serving I finish with a splash of 8 year age red wine vinegar.
    I will trying your braise the next time I egg beef shanks for stock.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done them a couple of times.

When I opened the packages, I realized that there were several muscles running in different directions, each w. its own sheath of connective tissue. I sliced away what connective tissue I could, then used a Jaccard tenderizer on the cheeks. Marinaded them over night in a little soy sauce and Wooster.

Set up the Egg for a standard indirect slow cook. When the cheeks reached 160 internal, foiled them w. a splash more of Wooster. Unfoiled at 190F. Some have been very tender, others, still a little chewey. The shrink to about the size of a hamburger, so that's how I've used them.
  • SGH
    Sir im sorry that I have been slow to respond but i have been working very long hours the past few days. Here is another recipe that works great. You can use it for both meats. Marinate tongue or cheek overnight in in 1/2 cup pineapple juice 1/2 cup beef broth 2 teaspoons worcestershire and 1 teaspoon of tabasco. Remove from marinade and pat dry. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Heat egg to 200-225. Place meat on egg with a little oak or pecan. Smoke for about a hour and a half. At this point pan or wrap with 1/2 cup of beef broth and 1/2 cup chicken and 1 teaspoon worcestershire
    If you have access to beef eyes add 4-6 eyes when you wrap. The cook at the above temps will take 8-10 hours. Cook until you can cut meat with a fork. Again until you can cut it with a fork and the eyes have rendered. This recipe works well with or with out the eyes but for a real treat I hope you will try it with the eyes. Hope this helps. I will post some more for you when i can.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Sir I guess I should have asked have you ever ate parts from the head? If not let me say that the tounge is the odd ball on the head as it has a taste that a lot of people dont like. If you have never ate tongue I suggest that you cook it and cheek together and when done shred and mix the meats together. If you have tried tongue then you can ignore this. Also dont wrap or pan them together as they will finish at different times. Hope this helps

Status- Standing by.

• Tongue is one of my favorite cuts from the cow.  Love it.  Thanks for the additional replies.
  • My Cajun friend would use the cheek meat in Jambalaya all the time. Very tender and flavorful.
  • SGH
    MR. Harmening if you dont have access to eye balls and would like to try them let me know and I will be glad to ship you some when I get off these long hours. I always keep a few pounds in the freezer for special occasions. I get them fresh just up the road from small heads.

Status- Standing by.

• Eyes would definitely be fun to try.  I would have to wait for a weekend that my wife is gone, but it sounds good to me.  She would freak...
  • SGH
    When you are ready contact me and give me your address and I will over night them. If you can try to give me a few days notice as I work a lot of split and night shift at the refinery.

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Harmening said:
    Eyes would definitely be fun to try.  I would have to wait for a weekend that my wife is gone, but it sounds good to me.  She would freak...
    I spent a lot of time in the rendering industry. They leave the eyeballs in the skulls. Scariest thing I've ever seen was a load of skinless heads in the hopper while climbing a 40 foot ladder. They follow you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON