Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Design flaw or user error with Platesetter & Drip pan?

Options
Greetings -

For Christmas I received the genuine Big Green Egg drip pan. To save the surface of my platesetter I planned to use the drip pan for indirect cooks under the grate and resting on the platesetter (legs up). To my suprise, the genuine BGE drip is taller than the legs of the platesetter and the grid is sitting on the top edge of the drip pan, not the legs of the platesetter. This make the grid not very secure and I am wondering if I am doing/using something incorrectly or if the fine engineers at the Mothership forgot to measure things? Anybody else run into this situation and have some ideas? Thanks and have a great start to Spring!

Cheers!
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Sounds like a design flaw to me.  Not only should the grid be above the drip pan, you should be able to put a spacer between the plate setter and the drip pan to prevent burning of the drippings.

I would contact the dealer where you purchased it and ask to either return it, or show what you are doing wrong!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited February 2014
    Options
    http://issuu.com/biggreenegg/docs/bge_pubv3_web?e=3685215/2264459
    Did you get the 9" drip pan on page 48 of the BGE Lifestyle Magazine?
    If so, then it's not meant for use under the grid, the description says 'works well with the vertical roasters' so I think they expect you to rest the pan on the platesetter, with chicken roaster in it, sans grid. Or, rest the pan and roaster stand on the grid, with or without platesetter.

It's too tall as you've found out, and also too small diameter wise, for example to catch the drips from full racks of ribs or multiple pork butts.

Edit: just searched and found this, same as yours?
    canuckland
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I see you have a large.  I use a 14" round cake pan that is 1" tall.  Fits almost perfectly in the placesetter and allows room for the spacer to prevent burnt drippings.  I line it with foil for easy clean up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Aluminum foil pans from Sam's. I use them for many things..disposable after a low and slow.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have this one and it will sit down inside of the platesetter and have about a inch of clearance to the grate. It will hold 2 gallons of liquid. It is the biggest one that I could find that would work with the plate setter.

16" x 2" Deep Dish Pizza Pan

• Quantity Discounts!

$5.50/Each

Regularly: $6.09/Each
    16 inch x 2 inch Deep Dish Pizza Pan

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    henapple said:
    Aluminum foil pans from Sam's. I use them for many things..disposable after a low and slow.

This is what I do too.   They smash down nicely when necessary as well.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I havent had to smash mine it fits perfect inside of my platesetter. Maybe I just got lucky.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Word of caution - years ago I needed such a drip pan and while SWMBO was gone I found the perfect shallow round pan stuck in the back of the cabinet. I forget what it was I was egging but I ruined this cake pan that had been her Grandmother's favorite! And I do mean ruined! I have never been able to get these pitiful stains out, but this pan is all mine now. A replacement of the same brand etc cost me $18 so my advice is go buy a cheapie at Wally World and leave Grannies' pans alone!
    imageimage
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    RRP said:
    Word of caution - years ago I needed such a drip pan and while SWMBO was gone I found the perfect shallow round pan stuck in the back of the cabinet. I forget what it was I was egging but I ruined this cake pan that had been her Grandmother's favorite! And I do mean ruined! I have never been able to get these pitiful stains out, but this pan is all mine now. A replacement of the same brand etc cost me $18 so my advice is go buy a cheapie at Wally World and leave Grannies' pans alone!
    imageimage
    I've done this to a pan in the past. Now I line my pans with foil which makes for easy cleanup..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Oh I do as well! And also I cover my PS for easy clean up. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Thanks for the information! Canugghead, I have the rectangular version and based on your links it does appear that the rectangular version was not built for going under the grid on the platesetter. Still think that it would make sense to reduce the heights of the sides so it would fit but you get what you are given (since it was a gift). Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, I will look into a circular pan. Hope the weather gets more Egg conducive wherever you are soon.

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I picked up a cheap metal lasagna pan at Wallyworld. It's the perfect length, height and width. I just put foil in the bottom of it before a cook. Remove the foil when I'm done and it's ready to go again.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    I've started using foil-lined pans, without the pan.
    I take a long strip of Heavy-Duty Reynold's or similar, double it over, and then just twist up about 1" of each edge, shaping it to fit the platesetter, and the meat, perfectly.  Fold the corners securely and it's always been fine for chickens, meatloaves and briskets (haven't tried it with a fatty butt, which I haven't done in a long time).  I don't remove the foil until the next day when the fat is semi-solid; its not strong enough for hot liquid fat.  Works for me, FWIW.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

When using a drip  pan on the plate setter I always create an air space to keep the drippings from burning. I  use 4 stacks of 3 pennies but others use copper pipe fittings, balled up aluminum foil or the feet from the older eggs, or what ever works for you. So far I think the  $.12 method is the cheapest.

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    RRP said:
    imageimage
    Would soaking this in ammonia do the trick?  I have no idea/

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said: 
    Would soaking this in ammonia do the trick?  I have no idea/

I bet Oven cleaner would...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• maxPowers
    Options
    http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ has gotten me out of plenty of jams with my wife in the past!
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    RRP said:
    imageimage
    There is a product called Bar Keepers Friend. I is an abrasive cleaner for stainless steel. It more less just sands away anything. I have used it to clean some pretty nasty looking pots that got burnt on the stove and it usually always takes it off.

Plus if you have a glass cook top. It does an amazing job cleaning it.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2014
    Options

When using a drip  pan on the plate setter I always create an air space to keep the drippings from burning. I  use 4 stacks of 3 pennies but others use copper pipe fittings, balled up aluminum foil or the feet from the older eggs, or what ever works for you. So far I think the  $.12 method is the cheapest.

I use just 3 points, so you can save $0.03 by adopting this method. 
    Just think of the savings!!!
    :))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.