Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Key West Fla

SmokinDAWG82
SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just booked our first trip to Key West for May, recommendations on things to do, places to eat, sights to see.
Help me out folks!

LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    Get some hot sauce!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    We absolutely LOVE Key West.  We go to the boat races every year in November.  You have to rent a scooter.  You have to hit Mallory Square for the sunset.  Breakfast at Blue Heaven.  Every bar on Duval street is fun.  These are all MUST do's.  However, if for some reason you only get to do ONE thing, you with out a doubt, absolutely, HAVE to go to BO's fish wagon and get the grouper sandwich.  The place is a dump/dive whatever you want to call it.  I truly think that this is the BEST sammy on the planet! 

I am envious of your vacation!  Enjoy!!
    Chester, MD
  • + 1,000,000 on renting a scooter.

Eat at El Sibonay and order the piallia sp? You should call in advance as it takes forever to make.

Don't be scarred of the naked bar on duval st.

Hit Mallory square at sunset.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    This is the nicest place we have found to stay in Key West. Its one street over from Duval and they have everything from single room rentals to your own place with your own private pool. Its not really that big just wonder around and you can hit up everything. Also there's a pizza place called upper crust that may have the best pizza I have ever had. http://www.simontoncourt.com/
  • Also, eat at Hogfish grill on stock island (5 min from key west on the next island).
  • We really enjoyed the Green Parrot bar. It is not on the main drag but it really feels like old Key West. Have a great time!!

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hog's Breath bar is a popular site - but take a look yourself with this live cam link.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    If you like snorkeling, there are some decent boats out of Key West, but the best snorkeling in the Keys is about 30 miles up US 1 on trips that go out to Looe Key.  After the snorkel trip you can hit the No Name Bar and Grill.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:

If you like snorkeling, there are some decent boats out of Key West, but the best snorkeling in the Keys is about 30 miles up US 1 on trips that go out to Looe Key.  After the snorkel trip you can hit the No Name Bar and Grill.

No name is in big pine key. I have the t shirt.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Right.  Looe Key is actually an underwater marine sanctuary that is 7 miles south (offshore) of Big Pine Key.  The dive boats to Looe Key leave from either Big Pine Key or Ramrod Key.  Either way it is a short drive to No Name after the snorkel trip.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

We really enjoyed the Green Parrot bar. It is not on the main drag but it really feels like old Key West. Have a great time!!

Cheers!

Grab a root beer barrell there! I love key west, spent 6 weeks if my life there,... shiny ferment much lol.
  • If your tastes are more upscale try Louie's Backyard at 700 Waddel St. And ride the Conch Train to learn about the unique history of the island. For example, it is the southernmost city in the continental US but during the Civil war it was a Union occupied territory. I was born and raised there.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • I'm a huge Buffett fan so I think you have to go to Captain Tony's.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Green Parrot and Captain Tony's are my 2 favorites,
  • Foghorn said:

Foghorn said:

Right.  Looe Key is actually an underwater marine sanctuary that is 7 miles south (offshore) of Big Pine Key.  The dive boats to Looe Key leave from either Big Pine Key or Ramrod Key.  Either way it is a short drive to No Name after the snorkel trip.

Well now I just feel silly.

• Cosign on BO's Fish Wagon...best spot to grab lunch after a night of fun, best fish sandwich and the coldest longnecks...but bring cash.  

Other favs include Hog's Breath - the raw bar up front is great for ponying up and slurpin' some oysters and shrimp and seeing the sights at the end of Duval

Sloppy Joes, Cap't Tony's, and Green Parrot are a must.  Irish Kenny's is pretty cool at night.  

It's amazing, you won't want to leave!
  • Thanks guys, lots of great info. I'm really looking forward to this trip
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

One of my favorite places to go during that time of year,  May is wonderful there.   Will be plenty warm for anything, yet not the oppressive heat of summer.

Snorkeling is a must (especially if you never have snorkeled there).   I agree, I prefer a few miles up the Keys.

Scooters are a must, best way to get around.

Ride the scooter over to Hemingway's old house, its interesting.   Watch out for the chickens.

Jet Ski's are a lot of fun.   There is a tour which circles the island on jet ski's.

Truman's summer home is there on the west side.

Note, the cruise ships will dock on the north end, dump thousands and thousands of people out, then in a few hours they all load up and go.

Find some sunset's.   Up towards the square there are street performers at night.

Not sure if you are driving or flying down.   Note if you are driving, assume its going to take a bit.   Two lane road a lot of the way, heavy traffic.   I was in Key West last week, drove down from Miami.   Will take 4 hours each way - granted a lot of the trip is very scenic, just don't plan on being in any hurry.

If you do drive, and have the option, check out Little Palm Island.   20-30 miles east of Key West, hard to find the shore side location - but if your going, they will get you there.  Note Little Palm is an overnite excursion, not a daytime.   You spend the night on the island.   One of my top 5 locations overall.

Also if driving, another good overnight stop is Hawks Cay - more traditional resort, very nice.

Feel free to PM me with any questions - you will have a great time.

Cookin in Texas
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Irish Kevin's is a nice bar at night, but gets packed!
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    I stayed plowed on Duval St for 5 days when i was there. Mostly at Hog's Breath and Irish Kevin's. Spent 12 hrs in South Beach too. Took a week or so to get right after that trip. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I met with my wife in Key West during a college spring break.  I got locked out of our house one night and slept on a random hammock near the street - woke up surronded by wild roosters.  Love that place.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    You must go to the Schooner Bar and Grill great drinks, food and people to have fun with.
  • Whatever you do go to Garbos Grill It's a food cart and they have the best umami burger and fish tacos you will find.....they are a super nice couple. Blue heaven.....order the lobster Benny you will be happy....eat. Out back and allow 3 hrs for drinks and brunch