Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Cut Rib eye and Burgundy Mushroom Sauce

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Have some rib steaks in the freezer from the 1/2 cow we got from my BIL. Decided to trim one up and give it a handle. Also got rid of a bunch of hard fat at the same time. The trimmings are in the freezer for some soup in the future.

Went with a reverse sear on the small. First time trying one since I got a replacement charcoal grate from @stlcharcoal. Went to sear temps really fast! I put the factory cooking grid on the firebox, then the firering, with platesetter, drip pan, and raised grid. When it was time for the sear it was easy to just pull the extras and open it up. Took less than 5 minutes to bring it to searing temps.

Took it to 135* IT, probably would have stopped at 130*, but was serving the little ones as well.

Did a burgundy wine sauce from The Pioneer Woman that was ready good. SWMBO helped out with the sauce. She also did mashed cauliflower that I didn't get any pics of. All in all, nice for a weeknight meal.

Here's the sauce:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/steak-with-burgundy-mushroom-sauce/

imageimageimageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks awesome friend. Gonna have to  try that mushroom sauce myself. Thanks for posting it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.