Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you like your spouse's cooking?

2»

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    cazzy said:
    I think the biggest challenge is my wife is picky with certain textures. ie, she'll eat onion rings or a salad, but gets burgers plain & dry and I can't put any onions in dishes. There are other veggies too that are a no no. The first time I had her start my sauce, she questioned me when we went over the mirepoix. Um, I'm not adding onions or celery. Honey, you've had it before and never complained, they'll cook down during the simmer. Lol

We may be married to the same woman.....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • My wife's idea of cooking is making good reservations but we rarely go out anymore.  Like some have already mentioned, my mother is a great cook and that is where I learned.  My mother in law could f up a grilled cheese.

I do just about all of the cooking and the wifey helps with prep and does all of the clean up.  Works well for us.

Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    My wife is the daily cook and I'm the weekend Chef. She has some amazing meals she cooks but mainly she is a 1 hour chef. I on the other hand make the soups and dish's that take a long time. She is an amazing second set of hands and is always right there to help. What's really funny is about a month ago after a family gathering and lots of good food and compliments to me she had a laughable melt down when everyone left. She looked at me, made a screwed up face and said " oh George everything was awesome, it was so awesome! Chef awesome your so amazing!". At which point we both belly laughed for about ten minutes with tears streaming down out cheeks. I did make a point of letting everyone know at the next gathering that although they may not see it the wife was a big part of every meal that is prepared for them. They didn't get it! I am however going to have two shirts made up for this summers cooking, one for me that has Chef George on the front and Serving Up Awesome on the back. Hers will have Sous Chef Kim on the front and Supporting Chef Awesome on the back. Yes I am a bit of a smart ass!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Still living the bachelor life I'm getting a kick out of this thread, however, dated a couple girls who I swear could burn water trying to boil it.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    My wife makes great red sauce and meatballs, and has a few other dinner staples she does well. She does any pies, cakes, cookies. I do probably 75% of the cooking though
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Could it be that we (the male species) are being tricked? There seems to be a paradigm shift occurring where the modern day SWMBO no longer "knows" how to cook anymore, forcing us males to adapt and learn for ourselves. I just got married so I'll have to start charting some of these trends but guys we might be getting bamboozled!
    Houston, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    edited February 2014
    My wife does real cooking in the kitchen. I cook on eggs, and SV lately, for recreation and therapy!
    canuckland
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    my love one says "the only one you love is your self" So yes i love my spouse cooking... which is me 
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    caliking said:
    Absolutely.

We split duties and play to our strengths. She does the baking, all of the fish curries, most of the Asian dishes and other Indian dishes. I do the bbq/grilling, some Indian dishes (goat, shrimp, etc), some Asian dishes in a wok on the egg,  and other "Continental"/non-Indian items. We both love to cook, which is a win.  

I bet she does all the cooking and takes all the pictures too! :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've screwed up more briskets in 2 years than she has screwed up meals in 25 years.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I will say that my wife is an excellent chef and cook. By Chef I mean she can create something from nothing. I agree with Henapple in that I have screwed up way more food than her. I love her cooking. Now put her in front of an open flame like a grill, not so much
  • Griffin said:

I'd say we fall in somewhere in the 75/25% range with me doing 75% of the cooking. My wife can make some amazing dishes. Her lasagna comes to mind. She also rocks out soups and can make some mean casseroles. We joked in our dating years that she was the Casserole Queen. She has so many casserole dishes. She's also a great sous chef, helping with the chopping or anything else that needs doing if she makes it home from work early enough. I'd probably say that Mrs. G does the majority of the cooking on Sunday. She takes all day and the house always smells amazing.

I will say she has one dish called Husband's Delight that does not delight me at all. I can hardly choke it down and wince whenever she suggests cooking it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/husbands-delight/

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    I will say that my wife is an excellent chef and cook. By Chef I mean she can create something from nothing. I agree with Henapple in that I have screwed up way more food than her. I love her cooking. Now put her in front of an open flame like a grill, not so much
    I look at the title Chef like I look at the title Medical Doctor.  I could never call any home cook regardless of their skillset a Chef.  I know, I know...add to the pet peeve thread.  hahaha   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    It is mixed up at my house. When I am "on" I will cook 90% of the meals and when I have the "off" day that % changes for a short while. She does awesome soups which I will admit is one of my down falls and she does awesome lasagna and anything with the word casserole in it she will nail and it taste awesome. The really fun part around here is when we do a combo cook like a turkey/broccoli casserole or a chicken pot pie that is outta this world good I will do the protein and she will do the rest. When she started complaining that she never gets to use the kitchen anymore I took the combo approach and it has served us well. I still wont share my knives!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • My wife makes the best chocolate chip cookies in the world. She also has a couple of recipes that she got from Rachel Ray or something similar that she can follow well. Aside from that, no it's not good. But that's ok...more energy for the bedroom. :D
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    My wife is a badass cook with a totally different style from me. I'm a lucky man, and my kids are even luckier.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, she just doesn't get much of a chance to any more. Has been a "topic of discussion" more than a few times since I got the egg...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I'll just say that I do 98% of the cooking and we go out to eat on her night
  • I do a lot of the cooking because I love to cook but my wife is an excellent cook herself and an incredible baker. I love Christmas time in my house when she goes all out.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • rdmudd
    rdmudd Posts: 24
    I love my wife's cooking. We both cook together alot. We both have our specialties.
  • My wife is an awesome cook. She uses the big stainless steel clock in the kitchen and makes killer meals. She has co-authored two cook books that are best sellers in Canada. All our married lives she has been the main cook in the family. I would help in the BBQ when we had gassers, and I make a mean batch of chill, with BEANS . Since we have purchased our eggs, we are eating way more off the egg, which is my domain. She will help with some of the prep work depending on what we are having. Right now I am doing a good chunk of the weekly grub. I love doing this now, love the ideas from the forum and love to eggperiement now, way more than I ever did before.

Large, small, and a mini
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    OK, most everyone's spouse on here cooks or helps out, did I get a defect? I am not lying when I say this. I once watched her cut herself coring a apple with a apple coring device.

Don't get me wrong I love her to death but boy oh boy I cringe when I see her walk within 5' of the kitchen. And no that fire extinguisher is not for show.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I'm also in the 'my wife cooks very well' camp.  Her falling down would be on menu planning and weekly grocery shopping; if we followed the more European model of stopping by the market daily and getting what looks good, she'd do much better.

I generally do the vast majority of the cooking, both because I'm the planner and the person who goes to Wegman's every weekend, but also because my job has a little more flexibility, so I'm usually in the office by 6:30, so I can leave at 3 and pick our daughter up at school.  My wife drops off, and her day generally runs from 9:15 until 6.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• My wife has potential but comes up with some strange combos. I call her the queen of casseroles. If it's in the fridge, it becomes a casserole.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Here's a story I think says it all.

When we were dating, I stopped by her apartment. There was a can of tuna sitting open on the kitchen table. I asked "What's that." She replied, "Lunch. Just opening a can is fine w. me."

I thought she was joking.

We started out 50 - 50, and that has changed about 1% a year. We're coming up on our 40th anniv. so you can figure what the split is now.
  • Mine could make a mean TV dinner when I 1st met her, had to teach her to cook and bake. She does a pretty good job at baking these days, cooking not so much. I do most of the cooking when I'm not working.
  • Well as I said earlier my wife does <5% of the cooking and her contributions now are boiling things like pasta or perogies.  I like those things but I don't consider combining premade ingredients entirely cooking either.

If I'm not able to be home to make meals usually my wife takes the family out to a restaurant. 

In the beginning she would cook more, but I would hover a bit and try and stir this or that, or adjust the temperature.  She got fed up with that and even though I tried to stay out of the kitchen, she just never got back to trying.

She used to bake, but now that I like making bread and desserts too she doesn't want to try (I think she doesn't want to fail knowing that I probably wouldn't).

I would like it if we could cook together more like Griffin says him and his wife share duties
  • I am very lucky. I work for myself, so I am typically home. My wife works her 40 and hates cooking the same thing all the time. She will literally make a new recipe every single day after stopping at the market on her way home from the office. When it is BBQ it is me, being home is great for this, but when I find some off the wall recipe from asia or another part of the world, she has no problem going to the ethnic stores to get the off the wall spices and items. Man, I better txt and remind her how awesome she is, thx guys!

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    My SWMBO can cooks three things, spaghetti, tacos and breakfast food. Thats about it. She only suggest those but in a different order. If I dont plan the meals I dont know what we would do. Since getting the egg, she has had some creativity for ME to prepare on the Egg. I try my best not to hover over her while she in the kitchen. She is someone who doesn't like to be told how to do something. If she doesnt know how to make a dish - forget trying to learn..... shell just say, "I dont know how to make that." 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    She had a meeting a few weeks ago. 

She says: "I am going to the store to pick up a few things for today's meeting."
    Me: ok, cool
    then she gets back
    Her: I picked up some things for you to cook, Salmon, asparagus etc. 
    Me: I am supposed to cook it? 
    her: I figured you wanted to cook on the Egg. 
    Me: mmmhhhhmmm. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD