Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VENISON BACKSTRAP THAWING OUT......NEED IDEAS OR RECIPES FOR EGG

Options
As the title says, I am thawing out a full backstrap for a party Friday night.  I usually do bambi bites with fresh jalepenos and cheese wrapped in bacon, but want some help or ideas from you guys on here.  Let me know what you got for me.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Since no one responded I will give you my opinion. There is only one way to cook backstrap and that is battered and deep fried. If you have never tried trust me when I say you owe it to yourself to deep fry it. Its the only way I cook it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• plumbfir01
    Options
    thaw it. rinse with cold water and pat dry... i use dizzy pig shakin the tree (lemon pepper rub) liberally and fire egg up to 400. Direct raised cook and add cherry CHIPS (handful or less) and let it smoke/cook until you get it to desired temp inside...really easy and you could wrap in bacon doing same way. and get it usually to 130 IT...pull it and rest it on a cutting boards..cut in small medallions and enjoy..this is just a quick no brainer way to cook it. I usually have 10-15 backstraps in freezer each year.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Chicken fried is the way we do it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JefCB01
    Options
    +1 for chicken fried
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Chicken fried! 

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• nicklentini1
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I wanted to stay away from frying it. I want to use the egg.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I cooked some back straps for my son last month. I removed the silver skin, rubbed in olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, wrapped it in apple bacon and coated it in Red Eye Express. I used toothpicks and did the best I could to get the bacon to stay in place. I cooked it all direct at around 350. Because it was direct I had to turn it often. I pulled it at around 145.

It turned out great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have, and always turned out wonderfully is to sear quick and finish around 400° until medium well.  I usually do this as a pan sear on the stove and finish in that pan in the oven.  Then make a sauce that consists of balsamic vinegar and red wine to de-glaze the pan.  Then at the end once that mixture is reduced, add tablespoon of butter to make nice and velvety!  May need to add some salt and pepper.

I suppose you can do the same in the egg if you wanted.   

I like it sliced and deep fried as well. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    just saw this thread pop up. Backstraps are one of my favorite things to cook on the egg, they turn out great every time. Hopefully it worked out for you. I have a few recipes that I use for them. PM me if you want to get them for future use
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Chicken fried!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Trim all silver skin off. Marinate in Worcestershire and Soy sauce with a little Montreal Steak seasoning  for a few hours. Cook direct at 400 to 500 until rare to med rare. Rest for 10 mins slice and thank me later.
    Duncan, SC
  • nicklentini1
    Options
    I like the Mross recipe  I think I'll give that a try.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I have made this at deer camp for years. People who do not eat venison will eat this as long as you do not tell them beforehand what they are eating.
    Duncan, SC