Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whats worse than an inch of snow in atlanta

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
an ice dam developing on my house eaves with more snow coming, then warm weather and rain

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I was gonna say two feet of snow and you ran out of lump with five pounds of thawed meat! Sorry about the ice damns that can really suck when it melts into the house.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2014
    Options
    that's a bummer! Friday night I discovered damage to our bedroom ceiling from a nasty ice dam. First time we have had one in 34 years! We have had 49" of snow so far this winter season and little thawing so our area is bracing for flooded basements and other fun events in a few months! BTW I have broken off a number of widow-maker icicles too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I had to spend 2 hrs this morning using my roof rake so my ice dams don't become a bigger problem. The worst part is that most of it needed to be done on top of a 10' step ladder. SWMBO said "NO MORE" when she saw the ladder sliding on the deck with me on top of it. 

Got the job done though. We hit 40 degrees today! Wooohoooo!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    If you are worried about the ice dams, chip away channels in the ice for the water to follow. Make sure not to damage the roof
  • Little Steven
    Options
    an ice dam developing on my house eaves with more snow coming, then warm weather and rain

Dammit, all my eaves (gutters) look like that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

Don't chip away ice . You'll damage the shingles. Use a snow rake to remove what you can from the ground. If you can ,use ice melter such as Knox . Salt will eat away at the metal drip edges. If you can , put some ice melter in a knee high nylon and lay over the top of the ice . It will create a channel for water to flow through.

For those with flat roof do the same as the snow insulates the ice. Yet under the ice is water from heat loss from within . If you opt to shovel ,only use a plastic one . BE CAREFUL!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Nasty as it might be, it looks beautiful. 
    Sounds really stupid but the only solution is to lower the heat in the roof above the eaves or turn the heat up on and below the eaves. Think it is called spring..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    The corner of our living room ceiling is forming "bubbles" already - not good.  Just bought our house last year and never even heard of Ice Dams until yesterday.  Did some research about them and it made me feel sick to my stomach.  

We have some gutter guy coming out today who is willing to get up on our roof (wife wont let me try) to remove snow - but most everything I read says you are helpless until spring.  This winter is brutal. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I had to spend 2 hrs this morning using my roof rake so my ice dams don't become a bigger problem. The worst part is that most of it needed to be done on top of a 10' step ladder. SWMBO said "NO MORE" when she saw the ladder sliding on the deck with me on top of it. 

i need a 20 footer for the lake side, and i dont do ladders. i can climb out on the wing of an airplane and jump with a chute, but 4 rungs up on a ladder scares the **** out of me :))
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    minniemoh said:

i need a 20 footer for the lake side, and i dont do ladders. i can climb out on the wing of an airplane and jump with a chute, but 4 rungs up on a ladder scares the **** out of me :))

Along with those Rippers, that is a recipe for disaster.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I am going out now to buy 40 lbs of Ice Melt and a box of Pantyhose. No, this is not some sick fetish of mine. You stuff the pantyhose with the melt and place it over the dam for quick melt. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:
    I am going out now to buy 40 lbs of Ice Melt and a box of Pantyhose. No, this is not some sick fetish of mine. You stuff the pantyhose with the melt and place it over the dam for quick melt. 
    Don't be embarrassed. They improve circulation and keep stuff TIGHT!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Couple of years ago, my house and 4 others on the block lost some or all the eaves. Gutter crews around twon had jobs for months.

Mine collapsed in the middle of the night. Heard a huge cracking sound, and a smash. Couldn't figure out what happened till I heard a piece of soffit that had also torn loose flapping in the wind. Took away everything on one side of the house. Fortunately, no utility lines on that side.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What is all this talk of snow and ice???  We're pushing 70 today.  :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thats my fear, warm weather coming :))
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Beautiful house by the way!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    A Lorena Bobbit snowstorm. 6" on the ground by morning.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio