Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I try not to keep track but while out shopping with my wife and mom for wood this weekend to finish up the hillbilly hut my mom asked my wife exactly how much this whole thing was costing me my wife answered "about $6000". To which my response was "no way"! She gave me the hairy eye ball and told me it was worth every penny because it keeps our family close. Everyone enjoys coming to our house to eat and have a good time and I like being the place that hold everyone together. It's a good life lesson for
    My kids too and I hope they do the same when they are grown. See my signature for the best answer!

Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    GeorgeS said:

I try not to keep track but while out shopping with my wife and mom for wood this weekend to finish up the hillbilly hut my mom asked my wife exactly how much this whole thing was costing me my wife answered "about $6000". To which my response was "no way"! She gave me the hairy eye ball and told me it was worth every penny because it keeps our family close. Everyone enjoys coming to our house to eat and have a good time and I like being the place that hold everyone together. It's a good life lesson for
    My kids too and I hope they do the same when they are grown. See my signature for the best answer!

She's a keeper!!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GeorgeS
    cazzy said:

GeorgeS said:

She's a keeper!!!!
    Absolutely, 19 years and counting!

Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • flynnbob said:
    I am around $2,500 in equipment but I have saved a fortune by not going out to eat so I am a net positive.

I'm at $3150 (Large and Small) and know I'm probably forgetting something, but I feel the same way.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @GeorgeS - fist of all your wife is certainly a keeper. Congrats on the new project too as it looks great. 

I would like to say thanks to you for helping me make the connection as to my favorite part of owning an egg. I've always enjoyed eating the good stuff and the process of making it.  I had never thought about the family/friend gathering place being due to good grub from the egg. Good stuff... I love having my family and my in-laws over. Great neighbors too. Just makes for a really nice time.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I have a L and a Small with the standard # of accessories, still working on the table.  The only $$$ I've regretted was the $50 BGE cookbook.

Kind've reminds me of my graduation present to myself when I finished my Master's: I bought myself a nice Nikon with a single 50mm lens.  Within 9 months I had spent more on camera gear than I had on tuition!  
    :\">

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm around $2K (we got our first L as a wedding gift) so I don't feel like that's too bad.

Now if I add up the peripheral expenses like the chest freezer, hundreds of dollars in spices and seasonings, the beer fridge and all the extra beer,  not to mention all the lump. And then there's the meat too...

Well, at the end of the day, it makes for great entertainment. Most people like the food and its always a good reason to have a cold one with friends and family. There we go - expense justified!

It still pales in comparison to the pile of money I have in my ATV. Sure wish I had the opportunity to ride it more often but it has served me well pushing snow this winter.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Umm at a guess over $20k in about 2yrs... 2 XLs 1 x small new egg area. Roof over said egg area.... And I'm not done yet.
    Lynnwood WA
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Tjcoley said:
    If I include the new patio to put the Large Egg on, all the Eggcessories (Ove Gloves, pizza stones, shrimp cooker, CI pans/flat tops, tongs, Patio containers to keep all the Egg stuff in. lighters, pizza pans, raised grid, cake pans, foil drip pans, pizza pans (I have multiple - CI, stone, and blue steel seasoned), grill tools, pizza peel, gloves for handling lump, oil and paper towels and a container to keep them in, BGE S/P shakers, cover, wood chips/chunks, Dutch Oven, etc...etc...etc..) and don't forget the BugASalt gun, I'm in for about $10K.  Plus meat and lump.  But I don't eat out near as much as I used to. 
    @Tjcoley, I love my BugASalt gun.  I learned that if you aim it, it works!  I am sure that I am not as accurate as the commando in your post - Cute!
    Milton, GA.
  • Egg ~ 900
    Table ~ 350
    Cover ~ 110
    Accessories ~ 250
    Total ~ 1610
    Cooking my own awesome food and sharing it with family & friends ~ Priceless

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Large BGE, Nest, Plate Setter, 2 daisy wheels, custom cabinet with nice work top 60 plus pounds of lump.and various tools ...........Paid $300.00 :)

Now I can afford to upgrade- This is my practice one!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2014
    lkapigian said:
    Large BGE, Nest, Plate Setter, 2 daisy wheels, custom cabinet with nice work top 60 plus pounds of lump.and various tools ...........Paid $300.00 :)
  • Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread.  I'm a doctor/shrink and I am here to help…well, sort of.  After my large, I found a used medium to add to the collection.  The myriad of accessories and lump over the years, in addition to the meats and vegetables and nuts and cheeses and breads and whatever other food groups that can be egged, have added up.  Thankfully, people keep getting married and having kids so that I have lifetime employment.  It's hard to say but I suspect my total is north of $3500 AND climbing.  Now, clinically, as I read the other posts, some of you have issues, some of you are obsessed and some of you are just plain crazy.  I will let you decide as long as it is with tongs in one hand and an adult beverage in the other and your significant other on the other side of the slidingglass patio door.
  • Thank God I've found you Doc! Are you accepting new patients? There are a few guys around here that have a real problem. Not me...like other guys

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Too much but worth every penny.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited February 2014
    Hmm... Between the two grills and direct accessories I'm at $6000 then another $1000 in cast iron cookware to use in it, and then another $700 on sous vide stuff as a result and at least $800 in knives and rubs/sauces, and about $9k to build the actual outdoor kitchen part of my deck. For a shocking grand total of $17,500. Worth every penny!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread.  I'm a doctor/shrink and I am here to help…well, sort of.  After my large, I found a used medium to add to the collection.  The myriad of accessories and lump over the years, in addition to the meats and vegetables and nuts and cheeses and breads and whatever other food groups that can be egged, have added up.  Thankfully, people keep getting married and having kids so that I have lifetime employment.  It's hard to say but I suspect my total is north of $3500 AND climbing.  Now, clinically, as I read the other posts, some of you have issues, some of you are obsessed and some of you are just plain crazy.  I will let you decide as long as it is with tongs in one hand and an adult beverage in the other and your significant other on the other side of the slidingglass patio door.

I knew it was just a matter of time before we had to get a professional on staff...

Don't take this the wrong way...but I kinda think If more people egged it might cut into your action...it's absolutely my outlet.

Welcome...glad you are here...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    I bought my XL for $1400. I payed $2500 to have it Air freight to Greece and $400 for customs duty and tax.Soooo a total of $4300!! Best money ever spent. Love every moment of having it and I hope my son will keep the tradition alive( he is only 4y.o but interested in BBQ)
  • Greece?!! ^:)^

You are my new hero!!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Few years ago would have answered $1800 or so with large and small with nice custom carts. Then I started reading this page and have spent an additional $1500 between technology and set ups etc. all total probably closing in $3500. I figure most of the stuff could all be used for decades. I'm sure it is somewhere in my will.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Well, the BGE and table set cost my wife about $1,600 for my Father's Day present a couple of years ago.  Then I got home and read the booklet and immediately went out and bought a plate setter, cast iron grill, pizza stone, and cover.  Later I bought 2 gloves so I can pull the plate setter while hot to switch to direct heat cooking when needed.  Then I've bought an electric starter, the BBQ Guru temperature controller, and some wireless temperature probe monitors.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Just bought another refrigerator for extra freezer space,,, brining, air drying. SWMBO occasionally comments on the $. I simply offer to stop cooking. That shuts her up.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • There is no telling how much $ I have spent. AND I'm in the market for a 2nd Egg...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    It's about to cost me a little more. I think I'm going to get a small next week :)
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    It's about to cost a pretty penny. SWMBO wants to upsize the house. Her selling point... "We can find a house with an outdoor kitchen for your Egg." That's plum evil.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    I am extremely embarrassed of this but it will make all of you feel better about yourselves so I will take one for the team.  I got the XL egg for $949 and the backyard chef edition table for $3900.  I then went online and ordered a A/R-Woo2 combo, pizza stone, 1/2 moon stone and a drip pan from CGS for $350. 

I did all of this and didn't hit the mega millions like I was planning. 

Oh well.  I really enjoy it.

Chester, MD
  • 5 eggs one of each size a weber gen.gas,refrigerator, TV,ceiling fans,outdoor fireplace and covered with cedar pergola put down pavers and electrical. Got about 7000 in grills,table and acc.Everything pushing 20K
  • GeorgeS
    GQuiz said:
    It's about to cost a pretty penny. SWMBO wants to upsize the house. Her selling point... "We can find a house with an outdoor kitchen for your Egg." That's plum evil.

Tell she can have which ever house she wants but you get to build the kitchen the way you want it.
  • I am about to buy a large egg and the basic accessories.

How have you guys spent over $3000.00

Are you including a nice table ?
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Generally, most of us have had the figure increase due to purchase of accessories over a period of time, or a second Egg, or building a new table, or building an outdoor kitchen, or buying a third Egg, or............. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa