Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a Pastrami recipe?

Options
Want to do pastrami start to finish and know very little about the curing/Corning process. Anyone an expert?
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Turkey Pastrami:

Beef, Brisket, Corned, Pastrami, Bluesmoke

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4-5 Lbs. Corned Beef Brisket (point or flat)
    2 Tbs. Garlic, Granulated, divided
    1 Tbs. Ginger, Ground, divided
    2 Tbs. Sugar, Turbindo, divided
    2 TBs. Pepper, Black, Course Grind, divided
    QUANTITIES ARE APPRX, ADJUST TO TASTE

Procedure:

1. Rinse corned beef thoroughly; discard spice packet. Soak in tepid water for 1 hour.

2. Pat dry with paper towels and allow to air dry for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle on spices in this order: granulated garlic, ginger, turbindo sugar and black pepper. Use one-half of the spices on each side. Press spices into the brisket, cover or bag and refrigerate at least 24 hours. ( you can hold the spiced brisket as long as a week with no harm done.)

3. To cook, stabilize BGE at 250°F and add 2-3 chunks hickory. Place the brisket on a sheet of aluminum foil, folding the sides up around the meat. (do not fully enclose the meat.) Place direct on grill and cook 3-4 hours @250° F, to an internal temperature of 190-200° F.

4. Remove, cover and allow to settle 10-15 minutes before slicing..Slice cross-grain as thin as possible.

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish

Source
    Author: Ken Stone & Diana, AKA "Bluesmoke"
    Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '05, BlueSmoke

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    There were also a number of posts a while back on making 'Montreal Smoked Meat' which is Pastrami (probably a few minor differences). I followed the recipe and it came out great.  Started with a packer brisket and used Tender Quick to do the curing, then smoked it.  The whole family loved it.

Just do a search on 'montreal smoked meat' and you'll find a number of discussions and recipes. I use Tender Quick because it is readily available in my area.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Long time egger "thirdeye" has this pastrami recipe on his blog that I have made several times. Lets' see if I can post the link!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Simple version I do
    Soak a corned beef 2 nights or so changing the water 3 -4 times.

Coat with pepper and coriander , ground up. Smoke it and take to temp ( look it up).
    Slice and.done.
    Seattle, WA
  • Duranhler
    Options
    I did this recipe a few weeks ago. It didn't last long as it was quite outstanding.
    I didn't make the corned beef. Purchased 4ish pound flat from the grocer.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Ditto  RRP  link. I'm doing one tomorrow, it's in the fridge right now. Here's a pic of the last one.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • stevesails
    Options
    I love the third eye pastrami. It is fantastic
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    My only pastrami cook was the Thirdeye recipe.  Only thing the wife said was it needed to be more peppery. It was very good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

This works.  Tends to come out pretty salty, so I do recommend a bit of a soak after the brine.  I think I used a bit less salt in the brine last time as well.