Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No waste by trimming spares to St Louis style

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
I commented on a thread last night about how I save my trimmings when I cut spare ribs to St Louis style. My post made me hungry so I dug out a frozen package last night. Today for a nice wok meal I salvaged the meat from the trimmings. I am very select and trim extensively. Even at that I ended up with nearly a pound of tender delicious pork!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That is going to be amazing on the wok! Eager to see your results!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bet that's ll be good. I usually just throw my trimmings on with everything else and eat them early as a chef's treat. I have that same scale, great for weighing out ingredients for sausage. But I also have another one that does smaller increments which I use for weighing out spices.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    bet that would make some great char siu pork for rice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yep, we do the same thing when I trim spares. Except when I'm too lazy to trim them :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Waste not want not. My Grandfather taught me at a very young age not to waste anything (he grew up in The Great Depression so there ya go). Very wise man. That is an excellent idea Ron! I will try that next time with my trimmings. Good call! :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Waste not want not. My Grandfather taught me at a very young age not to waste anything (he grew up in The Great Depression so there ya go). Very wise man. That is an excellent idea Ron! I will try that next time with my trimmings. Good call! :-)
    Ron grew up in the Great Depression too. Coincidence...I think not!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options

thanks - a little generation gap between us as my parents also grew up and suffered through the Great Depression so I was raised to be frugal and still am!

• RRP
    Options
    Ron grew up in the Great Depression too. Coincidence...I think not!
    In a way that is very true so you didn't get a rise out of me...shorty! LOL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It was pretty damn funny Ron. You gotta admit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    It was pretty damn funny Ron. You gotta admit
    I agree...shorty! LOL