Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Chuck Roast

MossyMOMossyMO Posts: 10
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum

Chuck roast was seasoned with Tatonka Dust.

-----

-----

Then smoked with cherry indirect in the Big Green Egg on the grate at 275º.

When the meat temp hit 140º it was panned and basted in juices we had left over from 9 Hour Burgundy Mushrooms and then turned over in the juices at 180º to keep everything moist until the roast reached 205º for pulling.

-----

Here is the chuck roast being pulled after it had rested.

-----

-----

Sautéed onions and peppers and then added the pulled chuck roast.

-----

Put the pulled chuck roast/green pepper/onion mixture on ciabatta buns, added swiss cheese and heated in the oven till the cheese melted.

-----

Here is the pulled beef sandwich, the flavor was outstanding!

Thanks for looking!
·

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,560
    Looks great well done. Have yet to do a chuckon the egg.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,495
    Nom Nom Nom!!!

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Looks great. I've thought about smoking a chuck roast like that and using the meat for a "smoked chili".
    ·
  • I gotta try this soon. Haven't done a chuck roast yet, but all the recent posts are driving me crazy!
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,762
    Looks great!  On the list now!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,591
    Really like pulled beef, those sammies, I've never done it like that, on the list!
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • Looks fantastic! And that Tatonka Dust rocks the house!!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,367
    Looks outstanding.  I googled Tatonka dust and it looks like this is one of those rubs that actually contains charcoal.  Definitely sounds interesting!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Strong work!!! Did one myself sunday and did Tacos, but those Sammies are next up!!
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,190
    Looks outstanding.  I googled Tatonka dust and it looks like this is one of those rubs that actually contains charcoal.  
    It appears to contain lots of things that, umm, aren't food.  :D  Still, that's one of the best looking chuck cooks I've seen in a LONG time!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Looks great. Can I have one without peppers?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,452
    Ditto" nom, nom,nom"!
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,352
    I cannot figure out this chuck roast. 0 for 2.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    Wow, awesome cook
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • grege345 said:
    I cannot figure out this chuck roast. 0 for 2.
    The trick to chuck roast is to take it up to an internal of between 205º - 215º.   The easiest way to do it is to keep it simple, cook it exactly like a pork butt but leave it on longer (205º-215º).  At that internal finishing temp it will pull easily with 2 forks and you can then mix it with whatever you want to.  Works every single time assuming you have chuck roast and not arm roast, bottom roast, etc. - The "cut" makes all the difference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·