Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The RIPPER

todays lunch,deep fried hot dog with road island weiner sauce. was making up a double batch of the varsity chili when i realized there was no chili powder in the house. had some chipotle chili powder so at the last minute added that, a quarter tsp allspice, and a third of a nut of nutmeg. tasted as good as any rhode island/ newyork sauce ive ever had. deepfry a dog, onions mustard, the sauce, and the needed celery salt. hardly anyone does the deep fried rippahs i grew up with. served on a buttered split top

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I wish we could find those buns out here in IL. One summer Kroger carried them like for one shipment and they were already stale by the time I saw them on the Manager Special table. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited February 2014
    about ten years ago we did a fishing trip to either montana or new mexico, dont remember which. at the supermarket we split off with different lists, first on mine was cheese :)) all the cheese was orange, i came back with no cheese and bring everyone over to the cheese isle, we decide on no cheese. next on my list was hotdog rolls, all i could find was something called potato bunns, scratch the hotdogs :)) almost felt like i left america and was lost in thailand or something
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nevah heard of a rippah. But it sure sounds good!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    the idea is to deep fry til it darkens and starts to rip apart. before my favorite stand sold out they used a mixture of animal fat, lard, and veggie oil, never been able to duplicate it, the new owners destroyed the place for me
    fukahwee maine

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That looks awesome (minus the onions) I might make one tonight but I usually call mine the "GUT BOMB"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Based on how it looks, I am sure "The Ripper" has a wholly different meaning than the one you proposed.

Especially for the people walking behind you...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    After eating all that chili, I think "The Ripper" works on two levels ;).  That looks outstanding. 

@RRP I couldn't find these buns in my area either, but I recently discovered that Kings Hawaiian makes them and have found them at the little KH stand in my grocery stores.  

Not sure they would be considered authentic "new england" style, but they do grill up nicely.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman

Especially for the people walking behind you...
    people shouldnt ottah do that, ive been eating them since saterday :))
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That looks mighty tasty.

When I lived in Chicago, there was a place on the west side (Maxwell St) that deep fried their hot dogs. A pile of onions sat in grease on the skillet for hours. Nothing tasted finer at 2am. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Now I see why you only live with dogs. They don't complain  ;)
  • That looks beautiful.
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    After eating all that chili, I think "The Ripper" works on two levels ;).  That looks outstanding. 

@RRP I couldn't find these buns in my area either, but I recently discovered that Kings Hawaiian makes them and have found them at the little KH stand in my grocery stores.  

Not sure they would be considered authentic "new england" style, but they do grill up nicely.  
    that would be like a cross between a split top and an oldfashion portuguese sweet roll, i like that idea, i sometimes dust the butter with a sweet rub before frying the rolls so those would work
    fukahwee maine

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    caliking said:
    That looks mighty tasty.

When I lived in Chicago, there was a place on the west side (Maxwell St) that deep fried their hot dogs. A pile of onions sat in grease on the skillet for hours. Nothing tasted finer at 2am. 
    What were you doing out at 2am.  I'm in shock right now!!!!    X_X
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • After eating all that chili, I think "The Ripper" works on two levels ;).  That looks outstanding. 

that would be like a cross between a split top and an oldfashion portuguese sweet roll, i like that idea, i sometimes dust the butter with a sweet rub before frying the rolls so those would work
    I bought some sweet rolls and chaurice last week. Would you make a sandwich out of the two?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    cazzy said:
    caliking said:
    That looks mighty tasty.

That was a decade ago...  .I was a regular! 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    caliking said:

cazzy said:

caliking said:

That looks mighty tasty.

Evidently getting his wife pregnant. .
    <:-P
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking said:
    cazzy said:
    caliking said:
    That looks mighty tasty.

Worked up an appetite at the Admiral on Lawrence, eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    @ little steven, if they are the real deal orange/yellow sweet rolls, theres nothing better than a runny egg sandwich on those toasted, i cant find the real ones in my area now
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Drooling over that dog. I've always been curious about those rolls having never had one before. Would love to try one some day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking

Worked up an appetite at the Admiral on Lawrence, eh?
    I was actually trying to remember if there were any hot dog joints of note on Lawrence... until I saw what you did just there :D

• fishlessman
    lunch again, this time with a chocalate protien shake. gotta love my new diet, eat everything not weight watcher friendly :D

fukahwee maine

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Red solo cup! :))

Ricky

Boerne, TX