Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Does your wife love your cooking?

2»

Comments

• GQuizGQuiz Posts: 603
    Find the neutral lump. My wife is allergic to oak and is not a fan of smoke. But she's cool with the neutral.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,468
    These comments about the drippings imparting a smokey flavor make total sense. So try the clean burn and use a drip pan - and make sure you sell it well enough that she buys it. There is almost certainly a subjective component at work. You may even need to change shirts right after you take the meat off the grill but before you enter the house just to minimize the suggestion of smoke.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 193
    My wife loves my cooking and calls me her own personal Chef!
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,637
    edited February 18
    My wife is not a smoke fan either so I seldom add wood, but she loves smoked cheese, go figure!

When I got our first egg, I made the mistake of putting the meat on as early as 15 minutes after lighting the lump, foolishly thinking it was ready when the dome thermometer was spiked by the flame from the firestarter!  Fortunately those early goofs did not create permanent mental barrier against smoke.

IMO, if you do burgers raised direct at lower temp, or spatchcocked chicken indirect, they'll be less smoky?  I also find, generally, egged food taste smokier the day after, so perhaps she should refrain from eating leftovers.

Since you guys judged at Barrie, I gather you are in/near GTA?  If all else fails, I'll look after your egg for you!
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 594
    I've only been on a BGE for about 8 months now so I'm by no means an eggspert on BGE cooking but I can tell you that the first few cooks I realized I was not giving the grill enough head start to burn away the "bad smoke". After I started paying attention to the change in color, as others have mentioned, to gauge when I start cooking things got better. I can tell you that after 19 years of marriage I am not going to change my wife's mind about what she enjoys eating and I respect her enough to not ask her to eat what she doesn't like. That being said..... It also doesn't interfere with what my daughters and I like to eat. It doesn't take long for the gasser to get to temp so just look at it as an additional challenge in cooking that great meal and use both grills. Everyone will be happy!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • looking like I'll try a clean burn and then cook indirect with a drip pan raised up to catch some drippings and see if she likes it. 

Might also do something on the gasser at the same time just in case. 

part of me wants to tell her she can prepare the meals if she doesn't like what is served - but I don't think I can run faster than her for very long so that is probably best for the inside voice.

• ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 473
    My wife is not a smoke fan either so I seldom add wood, but she loves smoked cheese, go figure!

When I got our first egg, I made the mistake of putting the meat on as early as 15 minutes after lighting the lump, foolishly thinking it was ready when the dome thermometer was spiked by the flame from the firestarter!  Fortunately those early goofs did not create permanent mental barrier against smoke.

IMO, if you do burgers raised direct at lower temp, or spatchcocked chicken indirect, they'll be less smoky?  I also find, generally, egged food taste smokier the day after, so perhaps she should refrain from eating leftovers.

Since you guys judged at Barrie, I gather you are in/near GTA?  If all else fails, I'll look after your egg for you!
    I think they tend to seem smokier the day after to the cook.  You've been immersed in the smoke while cooking, so don't get quite the intense hit of the flavor as you are the next day when you are not acclimated to it.
    Chicago, Illinois
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 3,555
    edited February 18
    My SWMBO is also very "smoke" sensitive and I have made: Pizza, brisket, ribs, turkey, chicken, biscuits, sweet potato pie, bread, apple pie, pretzels, burgers, brats, dogs, steaks, calzones, lobster, etc etc. Different brands of lump react differently at different temperatures so you just have to find what works to keep SWMBO happy. I have been searching for Wicked Good lump and finally found some and bought a couple of bags. Experimentation will be your friend in your quest. My SWMBO prefers I do all the cooking and no complaints off the egg (unless of course I don't allow the lump to burn long enough to get rid of the creosote). And as far as a "clean burn" when I make pizza that task is completed. Good luck to ya and happy egging.
    LBGE, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER and BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
  • tksmoketksmoke Posts: 568
    I hate to seem hard core, but this is a training issue!!  One of you will end up trained...  The GFU loves the cooking from the egg, and loves my smokey aroma.  That's what being young and in love gets you...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • I use Rockwood and find it to be a real clean burning lump that doesn't transmit much smoke flavor.  If I want smoke then I'll get it from wood.
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 4,359
    After a recent Sunday dinner... My wife simply said to me; "If you came home tomorrow and told me you quit to open your own restaurant; I'd be totally okay with that."

I'm going to take that as a yes :)
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 3,555
    edited February 19
    hapster said:

After a recent Sunday dinner... My wife simply said to me; "If you came home tomorrow and told me you quit to open your own restaurant; I'd be totally okay with that."

My SWMBO and I have contemplated this as well. However, I will say this about the restaurant business...it's brutal! I am a repair tech and we specialize in commmercial restaurant repair for HVAC/R, foodservice equipment, hot & cold side. The upkeep alone is unfathomable. But, still we ponder on taking the plunge. :-D
    LBGE, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER and BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 4,359

My SWMBO and I have contemplated this as well. However, I will say this about the restaurant business...it's brutal! I am a repair tech and we specialize in commmercial restaurant repair for HVAC/R, foodservice equipment, hot & cold side. The upkeep alone is unfathomable. But, still we ponder on taking the plunge. :-D
    LOL... I meant yes as in she likes my cooking. I have no desire to attempt to go to happy and broke. I imagine the happy runs out quickly and broke endures
  • cam05210cam05210 Posts: 49
    Mine complained...once.  I still miss her to this day, but my chicken and pork butt is the s@$t !!!!! :))
  • LitLit Posts: 2,436
    My wife is vegan and I don't cook many veggies.
  • I would have to say she likes it for the most part.  She is my biggest critic and is quick to point out mistakes; like the veggies aren't quite done, or the pork is a little over cooked etc.  But fortunatley, she does not mind smoke flavor, in fact, she doesn't taste it.  I laugh because I'll mention how the oak imparted a nice flavor to the steak, and she will just say she can't taste it but the steak tastes great!  

It took a while before my wife learned to love the food off of the egg.  I went through a learning curve and after I experimented enough and with her "guidance", I am able to hit the sweet spot more often.
    Simi Valley, California
  • tksmoke said:
    I hate to seem hard core, but this is a training issue!!  One of you will end up trained...  The GFU loves the cooking from the egg, and loves my smokey aroma.  That's what being young and in love gets you...
    You are absolutely right.  She who complains most, or curses most wins the arguments in her eyes.  It is training me - training me to avoid conflict by not cooking on the egg at all and I hate it.

Other wives I have talked to say they would be happy to have their husband cook anything and would just stay quiet.  Seems like this crowd is filled with men that do all the cooking and if we have a good wife she is appreciative and enjoys the food.  I've got one that barely lifts a finger in the kitchen but reserves full rights to complain about it like it is a restaurant.  In fact, she probably feels more comfortable complaining to me than she would at a restaurant.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,690
    when i first got my egg the two cooks i didnt like egged were chicken parts and burgers, even now i dont like to cook alot of burgers on the egg and i think cooking more than two or three i get two much of an off taste on them. why not concentrate on pork loins, steaks, ribs, pork butts, veggies, pineapples, baked potatoes, etc that the egg really does well and she probably will enjoy and back off on those burgers for the time being. i cook alot of chicken and after several chicken cooks the taste lingers onto other cooks as well. one way to hide smokey taste on some things like chicken and sausages is to wash the smoke buildup off with a light bbq sause, it hides any off tastes and now that it has bbq sauce on it she will expect it to be a little smokey anyways. then oversalt everything she eats off the gasser :D
  • Jeffroe189Jeffroe189 Posts: 208
    Mine loves it. She actually told me the other day that the egg was "one of the best purchases we have made". That made me happy. lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE