Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Ground Beef

Whole Foods. Dry aged ground beef. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Get you some Try it. You'll thank me later.

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I had their dry aged rib eye on the Valentine's day special.  It included a lobster tail for free with the purchase of a steak.  It was excellent!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited February 2014
    Whole Foods. Dry aged ground beef. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Get you some Try it. You'll thank me later.
    Sorry, man, but you gotta be sh*tting us! Dry aged beef is something I'm pretty sure I know something about and the LAST thing I would be buying is ground up left over bark trimmed from aged beef! While the trimmed, aged beef itself should be fine, if handled properly I would NOT try ground up left over cut offs! OR if they are passing off ground beef beyond the best sold by date, then I would not try that either!  

Go ahead and flame me, but having had food poisoning once I never want to go through that again!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Trust me on this one RRP. I was very skeptical at first. The hip-hop dude working the meat case told me it was his second favorite product after the dry aged Rib-eyes. I was even having buyers remorse once I returned home. Not anymore. Great find. Would not use it for chili or spaghetti. Just burgers on the egg. Can't wait til next time.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    If it is dry aged beef then ground I think it would be great if properly trimmed first. If it is ground then aged no way I would get near it.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    tksmoke . . . . I got the Dry Aged NY Strip at Whole Foods on V-DAY (i posted pics) and they threw in a free lobster tail as well.  The dry aged beef was amazing - but I had a full menu set so I tossed the lobster in the freezer.  Its kinda small, so I am thinking it would be good in a sauce/bisque of some sort?  Did you cook yours yet?      
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    @NDG - I grilled the lobster with the rib eye the day after V-day.  The GFU was saving lives on V-day, so we celebrated Saturday.  The lobster, though smallish, was very good.  We shared it, in keeping with the V-day spirit.  With the rib eye, there was more than enough. Rave reviews all around.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    OK Joe - right now I am half way through on a 6 week aging of a 12 pound New York strip sub-primal. So when it is done I will give your burger idea a try! Thanks!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Very nice.  I live a block away from Whole Foods and walk down after work a few times a week.  I typically buy whatever protein is on sale, but I will keep an eye out for some dry aged ground beef!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    RRP said:
    Sorry, man, but you gotta be sh*tting us! Dry aged beef is something I'm pretty sure I know something about and the LAST thing I would be buying is ground up left over bark trimmed from aged beef! While the trimmed, aged beef itself should be fine, if handled properly I would NOT try ground up left over cut offs! OR if they are passing off ground beef beyond the best sold by date, then I would not try that either!  

Go ahead and flame me, but having had food poisoning once I never want to go through that again!
    i eat that section that you trim off raw, especially the end cut section shaved thin, usually just raw with a squirt of lemon. i personally would not eat that ground up in a supermarket then sitting out on a shelf for how long, but would if i ground it mysef. the dry aging creates good bugs if done right, if you got bad bugs you cannot simply cut them off or wash them off. ive even survived stikes dry aged beef :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hmmm...here is an interesting article:

...if I'm understanding, it sounds like he trimmed the outer most layer and discarded, but there was till other "trim" from the 80 lbs of dry aged beef that was edible and could be used. 

Maybe that is what whole paycheck is doing?  I would think they might just blend it with some other type of beef to add some "funk".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    edited February 2014

i eat that section that you trim off raw, especially the end cut section shaved thin, usually just raw with a squirt of lemon. i personally would not eat that ground up in a supermarket then sitting out on a shelf for how long, but would if i ground it mysef. the dry aging creates good bugs if done right, if you got bad bugs you cannot simply cut them off or wash them off. ive even survived stikes dry aged beef :))
    I hear you - guess there isn't that much difference between that and thinly sliced Bresaola, which is ever so good! I love it with EVOO and freshly ground pepper!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ron
     go read the serious eats thread that smokeypitt linked to, read it with the idea of aging lesser cuts like chuck for the purpose of grinding it up later for burgers instead of mixing scraps of expensive ribeye. any one on your drybag forum try that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I agree with the OP.
    That is all I buy for my hamburgers on Egg now. Much much better
    Boom
  • I bought some of this ground beef at WF after reading this post and made burgers this weekend. My husband loved them and said to only buy this kind of beef from now on! We did cook them on a cast iron griddle for the first time, so that probably had something to do with it too.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA