Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT looking for a great red beet pickled egg recipe

Options
Want to try and make some and was looking for a good recipe. If you have one that your willing to share please post it.

Thank you

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I hoped some one else would give advice because i hate eggs and beets so im trusting my wife and giving you her recipe. Boil 4-6 eggs. Set aside to cool. Slice beets. In a pot pour 1/3 cup white vinegar 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 teaspoon cinnaman and add beets. Bring this to a boil till sugar is dissolved. Peel your eggs. Dump this mixture over eggs and chill. If you dont like this please dont hold it against me because i cant tell you if its good or not. Im trusting her. Hope you like it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way.

Pickled, Eggs, Dave

INGREDIENTS:
    12 Eggs; hard boiled
    1/2 cup Vinegar
    1 Can Beets, red
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 Tbs Sugar

PROCEDURE:

1. Cover peeled eggs with beet juice, vinegar, etc. Refrigerate at least overnight before serving. I got this recipe by marriage, thirty-some odd years ago. My wife's (Debby) family made these since who knows when.

Yield: 1 Dozen Eggs

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Snack

Tips
    They're best if left for three or four days before you eat them.

Source
    Source: Michigan Tech University, Dave, 2011/10/13

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'll try to find my grandmother's. I'll let you know.
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    We buy the pickled beets in jars, hardboil a dozen eggs and let cool then peel. Get a large container, we use a giant pickle jar, add the eggs, 2 jars of pickled beets, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and a some whole cloves. Takes like 3 days to be ready and will keep for a couple weeks. Makes great egg salad too!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure which one to try yet but I did pick up a few dozen eggs from my local chicken farmer tonight. Maybe I'll try to make them on Friday.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just a tip, FWIW "old" eggs work best for hard boiling/peeling rather than fresh.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just a tip, FWIW "old" eggs work best for hard boiling/peeling rather than fresh.

That is true. Some folks put baking soda and or vinegar in the boiling water to make them easier to peel.

Steve 

Caledon, ON