Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melbourne Eggfest - what else to do in the area?

My wife told me today that she has a surprise for me, and is taking me to the Sunshine State Eggfest in Melbourne FL from snowy PA! Pretty cool, huh?

We are flying down Wed night, getting to the Orlando airport about 8:00 PM, grabbing something to eat somewhere (reccomendations?) Then driving to the hotel.
Thusday is 100% free. Reccomendations on what to do around Melbourne? I have no idea what is around that area.
Friday till Meet and Greet is free (4 or 5pm)
Sat is Eggfest
Sun is flying home late morning.

Who else is going, anyone have reccomendations on where to eat around there and what to do? Coming from PA, so anything down there is going to be new to us. ...except great food coming off an egg!!! Looking forward to meeting some of you!
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Well, I can tell you I know another person attending...George who is coming clear from England! I'm sending him some "stuff" while in Melbourne.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You can go visit the Space center
     http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

In Orlando Disney, Universal city or just sit on the beach.
    Lots to do if you just lay back and enjoy the area.  
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    well, that is a lot farther of a trip then I am making.Pretty cool he is coming to an eggfest!
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    You can go visit the Space center
     http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

In Orlando Disney, Universal city or just sit on the beach.
    Lots to do if you just lay back and enjoy the area.  

We were thinking of the space center - although we are not really into astronomy. Might be something to do that is different and unique to the area. We like doing the "local" things when we go somewhere. Any hidden gems in that area you are aware of?
    Large and MiniMax

• Richard Fl
    I know of lots of beach dives after living here since ''77!
  • Sea2Ski
    edited February 2014

Do you know a instructor that would renew my cert by chance? My last dive was 6 years ago, so I have to take a refresher dive. I feel like I remember 95% of it though!
    Or places to eat that the locals go to?
    Large and MiniMax

• We like the Blueberry Muffin restaurant for breakfast and Squid Lips is a very good seafood restaurant. Richard FL is talking about beach bars not scuba diving. Send Bubba Tim a message and he might have some other ideas for you.

See ya Saturday at the fest, Jupiter Jim & KayNOcook

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Sea2Ski said:
    My wife told me today that she has a surprise for me, and is taking me to the Sunshine State Eggfest in Melbourne FL from snowy PA! Pretty cool, huh?

We are flying down Wed night, getting to the Orlando airport about 8:00 PM, grabbing something to eat somewhere (reccomendations?) Then driving to the hotel.
    Thusday is 100% free. Reccomendations on what to do around Melbourne? I have no idea what is around that area.
    Friday till Meet and Greet is free (4 or 5pm)
    Sat is Eggfest
    Sun is flying home late morning.

Who else is going, anyone have reccomendations on where to eat around there and what to do? Coming from PA, so anything down there is going to be new to us. ...except great food coming off an egg!!! Looking forward to meeting some of you!

For good food in Orlando after you land, hit up 4-Rivers on your way out. It's just off the interstate on your way towards Melbourne. It's Orlando's best BBQ offerings, highly rated and reviewed local spot. 

I haven't spent much time in Melbourne. I usually go to Cocoa Beach which is nearby. Kennedy Space Center will be your nearest attraction. Orlando is about 45 min to an hour from Melbourne and has plenty to do.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Richard Fl
    Sea2Ski said:

Do you know a instructor that would renew my cert by chance? My last dive was 6 years ago, so I have to take a refresher dive. I feel like I remember 95% of it though!
    Or places to eat that the locals go to?

Dive shop:

Waterfront dive:

Beach food, beverages:

Breakfast:

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2014
    Very cool, @Sea2Ski! Great surprise!  I agree with @JerkChicken on 4 Rivers... great food!  You'll want to eat in Orlando Wednesday night...  there won't be much open by the time you get to your hotel.  We are a small beach town. ;)

Here are a couple of ideas of things to do: 

-- Hire a guide and kayak Thousand Islands in Cocoa Beach.  It's about a 20 minute drive north of the hotel... I love it and take a lot of visitors there.
    -- Rent a couple of jet skis and play in the intracoastal waterway for an hour, or so. 
    -- Walk around Downtown Melbourne: shops, restaurants, bars.
    -- Airboat ride at Lone Cabbage.  Be sure to order the Gator Tail, Frog Legs, Turtle, & Catfish Basket while you're there.
    -- Veg on the beach:  it's our best attraction. :)

Food in the area:

-- Indialantic Seafood Company  -- located close to the hotel on A1A.  This is where I shop for local seafood.  They will make an amazing lunch for you using local fish and seafood:  steamers, sandwiches, etc.  Pick something up and then go veg on the beach (or eat there). 
    -- Da Kine Diego's:  located on A1A.  Nothing fancy but a local favorite. 
    -- Fat Snook:  I think this is one of the best restaurants in the area.
    -- Matt's Casbah: this is where I go for sushi. 
    -- El Ambia Cubano: this is where I go for Cuban.
    -- Beach Side Grill:  this is my favorite local breakfast place. be sure to order a homemade muffin, grilled. 
    -- Coaster's:  lots of beer on tap and good burgers (Elk, Kangaroo, Venison, Bison). 

Just a few ideas... I could go on and on so just let me know what kind of food you are looking for and what you guys like to do. :)

See you soon! 
    ~k. 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Last year at this time, before I got my BGE, we went down for a Washington Nationals Spring Training game in Melbourne and stumbled on the Eggfest while walking along the beach. I didn't know what was going on but the people sure looked like they were having fun. Eventually joined the cult in July. Anyway, while we were down there, we went to the Kennedy Space Center. The bus tour of the grounds is the best part. One of the Space Shuttles is now on display in the main area. The Ron Jon store in Cocoa Beach is massive and a fun drop in. And since you are from Pittsburgh, you might look up the Pirates schedule and see if they are playing anywhere nearby. Regardless, the weather will be better than up here. Enjoy!
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

It's about an hour and 40 minutes to drive from Melbourne, but if the manatees are in Blue Springs they are very cool to see. At that time of year, you should call before you go as they tend to head back out to the ocean about that time.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/

Depending on the water temperature it may be possible to see some closer to Melbourne on a kayak or airboat or boat tour...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Not to rain on your parade here but that is a busy time of year in Florida. Spring Break and Bike week. It was packed in the orlando area. Interstate 4 was a parking lot. We went to Ron Jovi surf shop and then Melbourne. We had fun, south Florida was fine just north was packed.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• six_egg said:
    Not to rain on your parade here but that is a busy time of year in Florida. Spring Break and Bike week. It was packed in the orlando area. Interstate 4 was a parking lot. We went to Ron Jovi surf shop and then Melbourne. We had fun, south Florida was fine just north was packed.
    Yes, it is a busy time in Florida, but since Indialantic isn't anywhere near Daytona's Bike Week, that shouldn't be an issue.  You'll definitely see more bikes on the road traveling to and from, though.
    I don't ever recommend Orlando to visitors unless you have kids or just like theme parks... and well,  I-4 is never a fun place to be.  ~X(

There will be Spring Breakers, so the beaches will be busier (especially in front of hotels), but it's easy to find a less populated spot -- I'll be happy to recommend a few.  The beaches in Cocoa Beach will be a lot more crowded than Indialantic/Melb Beach/Satellite Beach.  
    However, a crowded spring break beach isn't always a bad thing. ;) 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Like Kristi said it's very laid back down here and that's the charm. A short drive south to Sebastian Inlet is a nice way to spend the afternoon. Look forward to meeting you.
  • Laid back? You mean like a seniors home?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    Yep,,, we even let the tourists wet a line but we never show them where the fish really are.
  • You don't need to tell me that my friend...I've experienced it a bunch of times. Y'all must get a laugh out of us eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Norma and Brie are going to Vegas this weekend. No luck finding somebody to look after Paula and the dogs so far. Really wanted to see your skinny ass freezing off in MN.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    I knew you would find a way out
  • I'm still trying

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would head north to Playa linda beach before I went to Sebastian. You drive like 10 miles to the middle if nowhere through wetlands and end up at probably the nicest beach on the east coast. I wouldn't go past beach 10 though.
  • FlaPoolman
    Paula's a real sweetheart, hope she's doing better. Call me tomorrow
  • I will

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    I don't go to the Inlet for the beach, it's a great place to fish or just walk around and see whats biting, also some of the best waves on the east coast.
  • Sea2Ski
    Thank you for all the ideas and tips everyone! A few of you provided some very detailed ideas and information so a special thank you to you, Seems like a bunch of choices for a short amount of time. The Mrs and I will review our options, and if I have any questions will follow up in this thread - we got some great ideas!
    Large and MiniMax

• FlaPoolman
    Sea2Ski, Usually about 15 or 20 of us will get together and go out Thursday night. Drop me a line when you get into town and I'll let you know if there are any plans. Just use my handle @ Gmail.com
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Playa linda has some nice breaks also. I grew up in Stuart so we surfed Sebastian alot and its probably a little better but also very crowded and only breaks on a couple areas right by the inlet. I wasn't really considering the surf though playa linda has lots of sight seeing on the way. You can see the space center on the drive and pull over and see all sorts of wild life including gators and wild pigs etc crossing the road. If i was the OP i would head to the host hotel and meet the eggers and hang with them. Sure that's where the party is gonna be at.
  • Sea2Ski
    I will do that FlaPoolman. Thanks for letting me "in" on the group.
    Large and MiniMax