Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip time

I finally found a tri-tip.  Going to make it later for my wife's B-Day.

Besides a simple rub (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne) is there anything else I should do?  marinade needed?

Planning to get the egg to ~450 but using the spider down low.  Will sear the meat for 3-4 minutes a side, remove then lower the egg to 350 and put the mat indirect raised until 135 internal (wife likes her meat on the done side).  My guess ~45-hour?

Sound about right?

Serving dived potato pockets, spinach/mushroom sauteed on the side.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sounds great.. back in the saddle?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Dont know about that - Still freakin cold out but forcing myself to use it.  Just think the money I spent on the Egg I could be on very long vacation in the Caribbean (well not really, cant take time off from work) but I can dream I guess.

Garnerville, NY
  • I use the reverse sear method.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Enjoy the cook, tri tip is better when a cooked more to the rare side of medium, it can be chewy if taken to the well side of medium, IMHO. I have better success if the roast is rubbed (with almost exactly what you use) and cooked at 250º indirect until reaching your target finished IT less about 10º. If you want a final of 140º, pull it at 130º, foil tent to rest and keep warm while you heat the egg for direct cook at about 500º. Sear for colour and minimum of 2 minutes a side with the grid on the fire ring or lower. 

Look at the tri-tip before you rub it, you will see it looks like two different pieces of meat in that the muscle grain runs in two different directions, meeting at an almost 45º angle. Slice as thin as you can across the grain. If you just start at one end, you could be slicing with the grain and the texture can be quite tough. I often separate the tri-tip after it is cooked making it easier to carve. One piece looks like a pork tenderloin, the other is almost triangular. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    I like medium rate but y wife will not eat it if it's red. Can I cook it medium and pull it, cut off a piece and throw it back on or will all the juice run out making the whole thing dry

Garnerville, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I would probably cut it before you start to cook it.  That way both pieces are cooked all the way around.
    NOLA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Your cooking temps seem a little high to me. Tri Tips are a lean cut but they are not a tender cut. IMHO they benefit by a longer slower cook.  I would suggest trimming the silver skin and fat off the top but leaving the fat cap on. Cook it direct at approx. 275 fat cap down to about 135 in the center. Your end cuts will be more well done so you can serve those to the wife. Good luck!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    +1 on cutting before you cook.  I have never used a wet marinade.  I always put dry rub on a few hours before cooking.  Never seen one with a fat cap either.  Good luck and enjoy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • OK I've read a lot of tri-tip info here for some time. Some say it can get chewy past medium and it's a tough cut. So why do it? Is there not a better cut of beef to work with? Just curious. What makes it worth the effort? Price? Taste?  Just want to know.

• robnybbq
    Well it didn't happen.  Life got in the way again - went out to lunch with friends and got home late and was not going to fire up the egg if we were not going to eat it then. 

I hope it can be frozen and still taste good or its another waste of $20.  I hate frozen meats as they never taste like fresh meat.  Will be a while until I can use the Egg again.  I had my shot but it didn't happen.  Going to be working more hours at work so definitely no weeknight cooks and next weekend we are booked with kids sports again.  Should have just covered the Egg with a tarp for the winter instead if trying to use it, planing, buying food and have it go to waste.

Garnerville, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    NoDak1959 said:

OK I've read a lot of tri-tip info here for some time. Some say it can get chewy past medium and it's a tough cut. So why do it? Is there not a better cut of beef to work with? Just curious. What makes it worth the effort? Price? Taste?  Just want to know.

Tri tip is delicious when it's cooked right.
    NOLA
  • My family lives it. I cook one when the kids are home from school
    Go blue
    Go green go white
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• robnybbq
    OK - I made this yesterday.  Where has it been all my life - fantastic cook.

240-260 indirect for an hour and 15 minutes until it reaches 115.  Pulled it off and foiled on a dish to rest. 

Cranked the egg to 350 to finish cooking the potato pockets we were making ~15 minutes.

Removed the indirect stone and put on the cast iron grid on the spider and opened the vents up.  550 degrees dome.

Placed the tri-tip on the cast iron grid for 3 min a side for a nice char.

Rested for 10 minutes and served

Very good.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Some

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Pics so it DID happen

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks like you nailed it!  Nice job! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nice job Rob! Looks great, glad you finnaly found it!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA