Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chewy steak

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every now and then I get the urge for a chewier steak, so I do a top sirloin from the grocery store instead of those killer prime beef deals I get from the mom-and-pop grocery down the street. The one today was almost chewier than I could handle, although the flavor was wonderful. I didn't marinate it (it was an impulse beef-crave). Do you think that would have helped? Any other thoughts on how to soften up one of these steaks just a tad? I do the high temp thing on them and hope to keep that, so there must be something else short of a sledgehammer.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    MollyShark,[p]Marinades usually don't penetrate more than a fraction of an inch. I think the best you can do with the chewier cuts is keep them rare and slice them against the grain.[p]Have you tried a hanger steak? Fibrous & a little chewy, but terrific flavor. [p]Cathy

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    I have heard of a flank steak. And a skirt steak.
    But a Hanger steak??? Tell me more. [p]Does the skirt go on the hanger??[p]Ignert
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    MollyShark,
    Marinade the meat in either beer or wine and pierce the steak generously with with a fork to allow the alcohol to pentrate deep into the interior of the meat. The alcohol will break down the fibers in the meat rendering it much more tender.

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    MollyShark,[p]Top sirloin is London Broil. I always marinate them at least 12-24 hours. Will they ever be as tender as a better cut ? No, but I do believe marinating helps. Just did one a week ago that my neighbors/dinner guests went nuts over.
    Maybe it's the additional flavor that a marinade gives ?
    I have to do one every few weeks because of the great leftovers. You can slice it paper-thin the next day.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Nature Boy,[p]It comes from the diaphragm.[p]Z

• Cat
    Nature Boy,[p]Zip's right: it's a muscle attached to the diaphragm, hanging off the kidney. There's only one per steer. Also known as butcher's steak or onglet. It weighs just under 2 pounds and grills up great.[p]Cathy

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]Alcohol, is there anything it can't do?[p]Cornfed
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    Thanks yall. I don't remember seeing it around...is it a special thing you ask the butcher for??
    Does it have that "internal organ" taste? Or is it nice and beefy tasting?? [p]Piqued is my curiousty.[p]I can hear myself now trying to explain it to the butcher at the local Safeway.
    "Oh, you are not familiar with the Hanger Steak?? Well, it hangs from the kidney. In a diaphragm type of conglomeration. Please get me one now, or call your manager over."[p]I want one.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Nature Boy,[p]It is going to be hard to find unless you have a slaughter house nearby or a "gourmet" butcher like Lobel's. I guess you could say it is kind of trendy. I think this cut falls in to the class that was ground up into burger until someone said hey lets try to cook this thing. It just has that good deep beefy flavor like flank or skirt has. The first one I got when we had a cow slaughtered looked pretty bad, but had not been trimmed. It has a membrane like you remove from a slab of ribs covering and a nasty vein in the middle. These need to be removed before cooking. There was a picture on the web somewhere of one. I'll post it if I can find it. [p]Ashley

• Zip
    hangtend.GIF
    <p />Check out the link below for additional information on the cut.[p][p]Zip

[ul][li]Hanger Steak[/ul]
  • Cat
    Zip,[p]I grill the steak whole, then slice out the center seam of gristle.[p]They're called 'butcher's steaks' because they used to be unsalable...so the butcher would take them home to his family. [p]Cathy
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Will try it. I've never had one quite THIS chewy before. [p]I love the leftovers also. Cold...for breakfast. It is my favorite thing. Kinda slows your brain down for the day, but a good coffee chaser helps.[p]I'll also do some butcher steak searching. [p]Thanks..will let you know results.[p]MShark
  • MollyShark,
    off topic, but I talked with an old friend last night who lives in Friendship, just outside Houston. With the hot nasty weather you Texans are having it sounds like you can give humpty a rest and just grill on the sidewalk instead! ^oo^~