Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar planked salmon & pork chops

Options
I'm a little late posting my Valentine's Day cook.

The cook was started with some potatoes brushed with EVOO and a coat of all purpose rub and wrapped in a foil packet. About 25-30 mins later a water soaked cedar plank with some king salmon and sockeye salmon (for Mrs R2) was added. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A couple of pork chops went onto the upper tier above the packet of potatoes and some asparagus also went on. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The sockey being the thinnest was done first and was removed until the king salmon finished up. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

While taking pics of the salmon the asparagus was getting a bit over cooked. :\"> I pulled the veggies off and cranked up the heat for a quick sear on the chops. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The Mrs plated her salmon and declined to have me take pics of hers so here's my plate. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It was a nice meal and we were glad not to be eating out in a packed restaurant somewhere.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks good to me brother. Fixing to cook up some salmon myself!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Love the plated shot!  Perfect exposure!  I need to get myself a good flash.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looks great!

Speaking of restaurants, have you heard of "Kobe Japan" in pleasant hill? Hibachi and sushi bar, they use snake river farms, I had a filet there that was delicious.. between that and cen tex I am going to order from there one day lol.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Most excellent! Everything looks terrific. What IT do you cook your salmon to?

And here's a dumb question - does one discard grilling planks after use or wash and reuse? I have washed and used again in the past, because I didn't know any better. I usually don't use them because I invariably forget to soak them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Socalcajudo
    Options
    Very good looking v-day cook. So healthy looking as well.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Salmon and asparagus, one of my favorite egg meals.  Good lookin food.

I'll usually wash and get 3-4 cooks off a plank.  When done, I'll split them up into small pieces and use them like wood chips.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Yuuuuum!  Love your pix!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    cazzy said:

Looks awesome!  Love the plated shot!  Perfect exposure!  I need to get myself a good flash.

Thanks Cazzy! It is nice having a flash that I can diffuse or bounce off the ceiling/walls.
    BYS1981 said:

Looks great!

Speaking of restaurants, have you heard of "Kobe Japan" in pleasant hill? Hibachi and sushi bar, they use snake river farms, I had a filet there that was delicious.. between that and cen tex I am going to order from there one day lol.

Haven't heard of it but it looks promising. May need to check that out sometime. Thanks for pointing it out.

@caliking - I usually can get 2 cooks out of a plank. I like the way @SWVABeanCounter uses them as chips. Pretty resourceful!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    @caliking - I usually can get 2 cooks out of a plank. I like the way @SWVABeanCounter uses them as chips. Pretty resourceful!
    That's a great tip! Thanks.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    @caliking, I forgot to answer your question on IT of salmon. I usually cook it to an IT between 135-145.

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I took the family to Kobe Japan Saturday, my 4 year old son LOVED it, he's super into cooking lol. Wanted his own egg fit a while.
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks!