Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Electric spice grinders

Anybody using them? What should I be looking for? I don't need nothing fancy; just getting tired of hand grinding.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 4,963
    I have a Krups electric coffee grinder that I use for spices (I don't drink coffee).  Paid less than $20 for it years ago, and it still works fine.  
    One hint to clean them out (for grinding a totally different, incompatible spice): grind up a teaspoon or so of raw dry rice; cleans her right up!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • SGHSGH Posts: 22,647
    I have the Walmart brand Wahl spice grinder. Got it on sale for 12 bucks. For home bbq it does a good job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,901
    edited February 2014
    I have the Cuisinart spice grinder and it is awesome. I had a coffee grinder and it was OK, but this really makes a fine powder if you want it. And it's large enough for a good quantity.

Judy in San Diego
  • If you only make small quantities, the coffee grinder route is hard to beat. Picked up a Mr Coffee for under $15 last year replacing a 10 year old name unknown. Good tip to use rice to clean it. If you keep water out of the bowl, they never rust. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,940
    edited February 2014
    I also use a Krups coffee grinder. The bowl is steel, and I wash it in between grinds.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • +1 on Krups. I wash the top and wipe out the bottom with a damp paper towel. Never heard of the rice method. I'll have to give that a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004SPEU
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• I understand that if you intend to grind coffee too that you should have two and not mix them up...not sure why...might have been salesmen bs
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,940
    I would probably use a grinder dedicated for spices as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.