Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey burgers

Options
Sher-bear is doing the advocare thing so I'll be cooking a little different from time to time. Sautéed onions, red peppers, garlic, carrots and Granny Smith apples. Used hardly any oil. Mix the ground turkey with an egg and a few spices but no salt. Indirect at 350 with a chunk of hickory till they hit 170. They were damn good. Great blend and moist. I'd actually cook these just to have.. healthy or not.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That is something my wife would be all over. Do grind your own turkey?? Looks very tasty!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    No...just grabbed some at publix
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    Great recipe, @henapple.  Try some chopped serranos for a good kick.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Uh oh, henapple just found something to be known for!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks and sounds great! I like the apple idea. But do yourself a favor and grind your own turkey next time. You can do it in a food processor or a grinder. I prefer the grinder. I've been playing around with different ground chicken recipes and the difference between pre-ground and home ground is quite noticeable. (So far, I like my sausage... burgers, not so much. Will try the apples.) 

I recently saw an ATK show where they did some turkey burgers with added gelatin and some chopped mushrooms. Sounded interesting, but I haven't tried it yet. She grinds partially frozen turkey in a food processor. Video is here, burger starts at 16:20.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks and sounds great! I like the apple idea. But do yourself a favor and grind your own turkey next time. You can do it in a food processor or a grinder. I prefer the grinder. I've been playing around with different ground chicken recipes and the difference between pre-ground and home ground is quite noticeable. (So far, I like my sausage... burgers, not so much. Will try the apples.) 

I recently saw an ATK show where they did some turkey burgers with added gelatin and some chopped mushrooms. Sounded interesting, but I haven't tried it yet. She grinds partially frozen turkey in a food processor. Video is here, burger starts at 16:20.

Great video!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds good. I make turkey burgers occasionally, but not nearly as fancy. I like your add-ins.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sher Bear is on a strict regiment for the first month. I think some rub and mushrooms would be great. Couldn't use panko either. I don't have a grinder. ..yet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't have a grinder. ..yet.
    If you are willing to take the time, I'll bet "grinding" with a knife or cleaver would work well for poultry. Here's a Serious Eats article on the best way to grind beef (pre-ground, food processor, grinder (KA, I think) and hand chopped. The winner was hand-chopped. Kind of a pain, I imagine, but I have to believe poultry would be better too. Just a thought.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut