Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Lump Conundrum

Options
I know this topic has been discussed exhaustively on this forum, but I'm keenly interested in the thoughts of the veterans on this forum.

Net:  I have burned about 300 pounds of Ozark Oak on my lbge and have been pleased for the most part.  I have an excellent source here to purchase it at a great price.  The majority of my cooks are low and slow smokes, and all goes well.  Little ash, minimal sparking, quick lighting, etc.  The issue I have is with my high temp cooks.  I cannot seem to get a "clean" taste using OO.  Tonight, I did a reverse sear on some filets.  Although I had a mix of old an new lump, and burned for move than 30 minutes before the cook, there was still a slightly offensive VOC flavor, even though there was no visible smoke through the chimney.  I'd rather not burn lump for an hour before cooking if I can avoid it.

Is anyone aware of a cleaner burning lump than OO, or is this just user error on my part?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Just curious .... Is your Egg dirty on the inside? Do you do clean burns?
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    I do clean burns before I transition from smoking to grilling.  I also make sure there are no chunk remains left int the lump.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    In the past I did a lot of low and slow along with chickens and pizza. I was getting foul tastes on my cooks, especially on pizzas. Then I read about clean burns. Did one and the bad taste was gone. Now I do a clean burn after a low and slow or two. I do a direct cook and when done, I'll let it go until the lump is gone. Sounds to me like you let the coals burn long enough and used good lump.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @henapple should be along before long, he is the resident OO guru. It does sound like you might have a build up in your egg. I am not one for the wide open, ballz to the wall clean burns but rather hit it at 600* and let the lump burn out. This way works for me when I get a build up of crud inside the egg.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEggSun
    Options
    I haven't tried a 600 degree clean burn.  Perhaps that is worth a shot.  Generally, I go nuclear after a smoke to clean things up.

• TEggSun
    Options
    Is anyone aware of a place I can purchase Rockwood in or around Austin, TX?

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Grid grease or burn.off?
    Seattle, WA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    TEggSun said:
    Is anyone aware of a place I can purchase Rockwood in or around Austin, TX?

So far our only retailer in TX is Ceramic Grill Store north of DFW.  Otherwise, we have a few online dealers you can try--look at the website for the links.

There was a group buy in Austin back in November.  If you forward me your email address, I can send it to the organizer.  Maybe they have some spare bags or can get you in on the next one.