Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky

I finally have a weekend with no kid events so I wanted to try something that's been on my list forever. My try at Beef Jerky. I bought just over 3# of Eye if around and my butcher sliced it at 1/4" for me with the slicer. I then cut it up into strips and created this pile o'meat.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I had three different flavors of HI-Mountain Jerky seasoning so decided to do some of each. I am using the Original, Teriyaki, and Inferno. Here is the Teriyaki after I first put on the seasoning before sitting overnight.

I split up the flavors onto three separate grids with spacers in between. I lit a small fire and hooked up my DigiQ to try and keep temp at 185. The controller seems to let it hold that temp pretty easily. Here is the meat when it first went on.

And two hours in

Can't wait to taste it.
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks good my friend. I have been wanting to try jerky on the egg myself. I hate to admit this but i have always made jerky on my pitmaker vault because we make such a large amount at a time. Going to try it on the egg for sure!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Came out great. Here is it cooking towards the end.

And here's the final.

Yield was okay. 3# of meat to begin and ended up with about just over a pound. As for the seasoning mixes, the Hi-Mountains are okay. Teriyaki doesn't have a lot of flavor. The Original is okay but the Inferno is really good and I would do that one again next time.

Do want to thank @ChokeOnSmoke and others for their inspiration on the Board. I will definitely do this again.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a job well done sir!! Enjoy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Very nice! On my list to try to.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• That looks great! Perfect idea having the butcher slice it down for you. 185 for how long and did you use any wood.
  • Thanks Luke, I forgot the important details. I ended up cooking for about 4 1/2-5 hours with the lower rack taking a little longer. I decided to not use any wood this time and actually, it did pick up quite a bit of flavor from e charcoal. Next time I do plan on using some Cherry.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Awesome. Been on my to do list forever. Maybe next weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Hi-Mountain Hickory is good as well. I add a teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper per pound.  Its off the hook!! :)
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Congrats on the jerky. I've made it quite a few times but ashamed to say that it's always been dried in my Ronco food dehydrator. It turns out great and gets smoke from liquid smoke. There's a recipe found here for homemade jerky marinade that is so simple and really great. You can modify it as needed by adding cayenne to increase heat. https://www.ronco.com/docs/manuals/RoncoManual-FoodDehydrator.pdf
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Hibby said:
    Congrats on the jerky. I've made it quite a few times but ashamed to say that it's always been dried in my Ronco food dehydrator. It turns out great and gets smoke from liquid smoke. There's a recipe found here for homemade jerky marinade that is so simple and really great. You can modify it as needed by adding cayenne to increase heat. https://www.ronco.com/docs/manuals/RoncoManual-FoodDehydrator.pdf
    I get the best of both worlds by smoking the first couple of hours in the BGE, then finish off in the comfort of my Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator.
    canuckland
  • Lookin good @BuckeyeBob !  Glad it turned out for you. Last few times a did jerky, I added a couple chunks of oak for smoke and it was really good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin