Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck Lid ??

Options
trackman
trackman Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just completed my first low and slow on a 12 pound beef brisket. Overall I was quite pleased with it. The right product for this type of cooking.

After the brisket I opened up the vents to let the egg clean out a bit. Just went back to it and the lid is completely stuck. I put as much weight on the handle to get it up and the whole egg tilted back. I have an XL so that's saying something.

Any suggestions before I go looking for a pry bar? I'm sure I'm not the only one to encounter this one. I'm concerned I'm going to chip away on the lids or potentially destroy the gaskets.

Comments

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 42
    Options
    I had the same happen to me twice. my experience is that the gaskets have been "tender" on my first cooks. I have a large and small. I went into panic mode but had a razor (utility knife) handy and cut between the gasket while lifting up. the glue reactivated thru high heat, and seem to temper a bit after the first high heat cook.

good luck, unfortunately you might just get some experience on replacing the gasket.

Jorge
  • trackman
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up taking a kitchen knife and running along an opening in the back and all the way around. Thanks to info on the Naked Whiz site for that suggestion.

The end all is that my original gasket is completely fried and I'll have to replace with another. It looks like I'll spend a day removing the residue from the fried gaskets. After review of a handful of posts on this site and others I'm going with the Rutland option. The thickness on it will help solve another issue I've been seeing which is a small gap in the two lids when closed along the back by the hinge.

Given that Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away I need to get crackin' on that.