Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round From Yesterday Sliced and Sandwiched Today

Options
The Eye Of Round I cooked yesterday spent the night in the frig to both cool for slicing and mellow for eating. It did both quite well.

We were going to make a Ferdi like Mother's in New Orleans, but we didn't have the turkey, ham, cabbage or French Bread, so we improvised.

We sliced it thin and mixed it in with some Zatarain's Cajun Gravy and let the two flavors merge. Glad we did. It was delicious.

And for bread, I had a Jalapeno Sandwich Bun and a couple of crossiants. Yeah, I know... but you'll see...

And for cabbage we substituted lettuce. And for Creole Tomatoes we used Roma. But we did have some mayo and pickles.

It was delicious but not something we could serve at an Eggfest without a shower or tub nearby. Talk about messy... But it was delicious.

Here's some pictures including one of our new Food Saver toy in action.

Now I've got to wash out my mustache and the gravy drips off my elbows.

Spring "We'll Just Call It A Derti Instead Of A Ferti" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thats some mighty fine looking grub there my friend!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I want a Derti now! Love the idea of the gravy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Lookin good Leroy....great idea on the gravy.

Gonna give this one a try.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That's one heck of a sandwich!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    man I wish I had a meat slicer.  looks great
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    That looks really good.

The pajamas are pretty also.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice! Now I'm hungry!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Deviledegger
    Options
    What temp. Did you cook the eye of round at. And what internal temp? Basically, why are the specifics on the cook because I would also like to try this one. And just use some for deli meat. Thanks in advance!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Deviledegger.  This is edited slightly from my earlier post.

We were discussing some sandwich ideas and one thing led to another, and the other was a New Orleans sandwich Judy is fond of, a Ferdi from Mothers Restaurant. I've never had it before but it sure sounds good.

To make it we first have to roast some beef for it, and after a little research we decided on Eye of Round after we hit on an old post by Chris at Dizzy Pig. He used Cow Lick, so we figured we would too. Only we were out of Cow Lick and had to go to Ace Hardware in The Woodlands (TX) to get some.

Naturally, we bought a bunch of other stuff and talked to a couple of people who were sniffing around the Big Green Egg display area.

We already had the beef eye but will need to do some turkey tomorrow.

Back home, I lit Lily Large to focus on 300°. Then I went back inside to prep the meat and let it percolate a bit.

All I did was generously apply a good coat of Dizzy Pig Cow Lick to all sides and ends, cover it with wrap and let it work.

I was in no rush so I let Lily Large take her time to stabilize while Judy and I did some Coop-Keeping.

It's amazing what a little organizing can do. We now have room left over for new stuff. But 'Miss Organizer' has everything in it's place and there's a place for everything.

Sometime later I put the meat on and let it come back up to temperature before leaving it alone. I was using an indirect setup at about 325°.

Finally, the Thermopen told me it was time to change the Egg over to a direct setup to sear all sides of the meat. That's what Chris said do.

That done, I took it off, (cut a small end piece off for quality control purposes) and wrapped it in foil to chill in the frig overnight. Someone suggested that it slices better chilled. Sounds reasonable and we weren't hungry anyway.

Today, we sliced it thin and added it to the pan of gravy to soak up some really nice flavor. 

The meat and gravy was so good that you could eat it on a sub roll or hoagie roll with just the meat and gravy and be very happy.  Some thin sliced onions just adds to the already nice flavor.  The hamburger dill pickles also added a nice touch, as did the tomato.   We like mayo our all our sandwiches so we added a goodly amount of it.  I suppose you could just keep going with it but simple is always good.

Try it, I think you will like it.

Spring "You Just Don't Know Until You Try" Chicken

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You don't have your thermapen temps in there.
    NOLA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

It's in the original cook post.  Here's the link.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162274/eye-of-round-roast-for-sandwiches#latest

Spring "Takes Two Threads To Talk Up A Cook" Chicken

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Ah, thanks.
    NOLA